LF Domain bindings or Hyperlite or phase 7

backyardhockey2

Seaman Apprentice
Hello:

Looking to get my 14 year old son started. He weighs 114 lbs and has never boarded. Good water and snowskier. The Hyperlite sprint bindings seem to be the 'package' bindings. Someone at a store mentioned the LF Domain bindings, which are more expensive. Also saw CWB Phase 7 bindings with hinges. And Hyperlite remix bindings. Son has a size 9 shoe. I'm concerned about comfort and ease of entry. Others will be using the equip also. Any info is appreciated.

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: LF Domain bindings or Hyperlite or phase 7

You get what you pay for on comfort... I haven't had any of those, the first board and bindings I used were some Generic ones from ****'s Sporting goods on an O'brien system board. They were comfy and did their job... Your son has the average size foot and can pretty much use any binding that comes in a generic package.

I now will only use closed toe bindings as they are more supportive and give you more feel of the board. But they are also in the $300+ range for close outs.

I rock CWB Answer bindings.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi,

If he's sharing then open toe is fine. Personally I'd get the best bindings you can afford as they are what offer support to the ankle and will have a big impact on how comfy you are. Threemile is correct, you do get what you pay for. My girlfriend has just bought her first board and I insisted on her getting the best possible bindings. I ended up buying her 2nd hand 'pro' closed toe bindings from ebay (2008 Liquid Force Wing). I'm not saying you should do this and spend, just my preference (i got a mega bargain).

D.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Hyperlite

/end thread.

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice

Kyle, come on man, put down the koolaid

As stated any entry level bindings will be what they are, entry level.

If he is really going to stick with the sport then he will want new bindings rather quickly. Some cheap open toes will get him on the water, but could cause more harm than good. Look into a more "pro" binding and just buy a 2009 closeout, or even an 08 when you can find them. Go to wakeworld.com and check out the reviews on the bindings you find for sale. There's some good info to be had there. All the major brands make some really good bindings. Even as Kyle may have his Hyperlite blinders on, Hyperlite makes a really good boot and they are very very good about upholding their warranty. Take your time and do some research and you'll be happy with your boots.

I've personally ridden the domains and they almost contributed to two broken ankles. Same thing happened to me and my riding buddy. The binding tried to release on a hard fall but the strap used to pull them on caught the achilles and kept foot half in, half out. Terrible pain and they started to deteriorate after one season.

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice

BTW Kyle,

Are they still cranking those MB's out of there ridiculously cheap at that dealership right outside Knox? I drive by there when I go to Johnson City to see my bro and those boats are gorgeous.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

I believe they have 1 or two left pretty cheap because they are left overs. MB just doesnt have Name recognition around here. We do have a few very loyal owners.

As far as Hyperlite blinders... they are not blinders. Can you really tell me price level to price level anyone builds anything better than Hyperlite? No.

Even you said they uphold their warranty very well. I have personal experience with their warranty service and it was fantastic.

Also, I have met a few members of their "team" and hyperlite focuses on getting their riders to really interact with their customers, do some great thigns for the sport, and their traveling sells guys at the shows are very nice people. Now I know all this doesn't make their product better, but it does make their company look better in my eyes. So, they have my support. Ronix, Liquid Force, and CWB have all been places where i have went to tournaments, video premiers, etc.... and they just haven't seemed to put the same effort into their customers.

backyardhockey2

Seaman Apprentice

We endend up with LF gear. PS3 board and transit bindings. Most other bindings were either too big or too small. These are size 8-10, so all should be good for a couple of years. He got up right away and had a huge smile on his face. So far so good.

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome choice on the transits and PS3. Good solid equipment.

Yeah I know what you mean about MB not having any recognition. Noone in TN will buy anything unless they saw such and such had it and it was awesome. I could throw a brand new Tomcat or TWB out here on the cumberland river and people would ask me if it was some kind of imported off brand of wakeboard boat. "What do you mean Mastercraft and Supra aren't the only brands that make boats?":rolleyes:

Yeah I've heard one of the Hyperlite guys was down on KY lake riding with some locals and threw down like one set and then spent the entire rest of the day getting little kids up on the board. Didn't worry about the party that was going on or charging for some clinic, he just spent every minute working on getting someone up on a board for the first time. But there's awesome guys like that in every company, just some more than others. I'm actually a slingshot fan myself, I just try to be subjective when offering my opnion on gear.