Levee Jumping

dg512055

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This may need to go in the SHT forum. OK so it is winter and there is nothing to do. Here is a video of me in my other boat a few years ago, during a duck hunting trip. Had to get over a levy to get in and out of the hunting spot. This was the part after the hunt during daylight. Couldn't video going in because it was before sunrise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ8IvwcfKhE

Last edited by a moderator:

mphy98

Lieutenant
Re: Levy Jumping

um, doesn't that destroy the levy after a while?

Bearfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have to admit that would have never come to me.

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

That would never occur to me either. Mostly because it has "I'm a stupid jack*****" or "accident waiting to happen" written all over it.
Get out of the boat and move it the right way, even if it takes a little longer.
Also glad it wasn't my boat as well.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Rather you than me !!!! :)
They beach them for the night that way at the Dominican resorts. Quite the sight !!:D

skargo

Banned

Pure laziness, just like power loading IMO. :rolleyes:

dg512055

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is pretty routine around here in those conditions. There would be several other boats ahead or behind us that will do this. If there is no one to help pull the boats over we will use momentum to get over the levy. The other passengers will offload before hand and get back in to finish the trip. It is not hard on the boats at all, and even if there is some wear and tear, we don't care. This is part of duck hunting.

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks pretty fun too me! And it didnt look too dangerous either. I think it would be more dangerous for most of us to ride a bike!

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...... Had to get over a levy to get in and out of the hunting spot.....

....and I suppose y'all will blame the Corps of Engineers when the levy fails.

Not very respectful in my opinion.

Ed in 'ol Virginny:(

dg512055

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not likely the levy failing. It has been there for 40+ years. Corps of Engineers has nothing to do with this. It is a small seaonal impoundment built by the Wildlife Resources Agency. This spot was left a little lower than the rest for exactly this reason. We could run boats over this spot continuously for years and still have no damage. If there were to be any, it would be repaired during the 8 months the entire impoundment is dry.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it's actually a sport in New Zealand or Australia. I'm pretty sure I had that thought the first time I saw a flat bottom boat.

cribber

Lieutenant

That's no different than a Go-devil mud boat and looks like fun. :D

tawood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That would never occur to me either. Mostly because it has "I'm a stupid jack*****" or "accident waiting to happen" written all over it.
Get out of the boat and move it the right way, even if it takes a little longer.

Another i boat know-it-all (at least he has named himself appropriately)...the internet seems to be full of them.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thats awsome, i see jet boats do this all the time on the maumee river, the best hunting and fishing are in really shallow rocky areas and the only way in is to do slide over large rock patches only a few inches deep if that....Those alluminum boats can take one hell of a beating. If i were you I would get a jet lower unit so you dont have to worry about killing your prop!

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah! you should have drove your truck and trailer there, pulled it out and relaunched it! ha!