Legend boats - quality opinions?

skategoat

Seaman
Can anyone comment on Legend boats build quality? I know their sales tactics are a bit shady but I'm looking at a used boat so that doesn't matter to me. I would like to know how the boat holds up to long term use. How does it compare to other aluminums like Princecraft?<br /><br />The boat I'm considering is a 2001 188 All-Sport.

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Legend boats - quality opinions?

Any and every boat is ALL about maintenance. What is the condition of the boat?<br /><br />Legend has been around for a while, they do built the deepest aluminum V hull as far as I know. Good looking vessel's.<br /><br />Fits you budget - go for it.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Skategoat,Legend boats should be good boats as the hull is maid by Smoker craft. I have a 17.5 Ultima Smoker with a 130 hp Johnson which performs quite well,hope this helps you, have a nice evening. keep us posted if you get the boat. J C.

teamstromer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

skategoat,<br />i have seen legend boats at several boat shows in quebec and ontario canada. i checked the specs and compared to other aluminum boats. legend looks as good as anything else.<br />i almost bought a legend at a show in ottowa ontario this past spring, i liked the configurations and the prices. unfortunately i was trying to paly the money exchange rate and the rate would not calculate good enough to purchase the boat in canada. i did buy an alumacraft navigator 175 cs, loaded with a merc 90hp 2st.<br />can you tell me what you have heard about legend sales pitches being shady?<br />thanks

Dryrot

Seaman Apprentice

I have a Legend 149, 1998 model. It has shown no signs of leakage or other problems. My 3 other aluminum boats are not painted and this is the 1 flaw that I don't like about the Legend. The boat has scratched and looks like a 20 year old boat already. The dark green paint realy shows the scratches..Also the wide body pounds u to death. Good luck.

skategoat

Seaman

Legend packages their boats for the new boater. The packages look to be good deals but usually come with far too little power. For instance, on an 18 foot boat, they standard motor is a 50hp Merc. The boat really needs a 115 but that would make the boat look less attractive, pricewise. <br /><br />They are also very negative on other brands.

loganmallory

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i bought a brand new legend last year (aug 2004)it was the first NEW boat i had ever bought. 16' widebody (1668)i was so excited that i took it fishing that day to a popular lake that is close to town, and the roads are all paved except for about 5 miles. it was trailered and tied down properly, with no motor attached and nothing in the boat. when i got home, there were 2 cracks. one was at the bottom of the split back seat that the driver sits on, right where the aluminum bends to meet the hull. there was another crack on the bench near the bow, at the same spot, where it meets the hull. nobody sat there that day. i hauled the boat to the dealer the next day, and he was like "yeah, yeah, no problem, its under warranty, i'll fix it for you". he riveted in some patches, and actually painted everything the correct colour, but i have been nervous as heck ever since, because i go down some really nasty dirt roads sometimes. regarding the paint, is there something i can put on the green to protect it?