LED'S vs old submersibles

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer
just wondering how many people out there have switched from the older style submersible lights to the newer style LED'S?

currnetly i am running the older submersilbes and i rewired some sidemarker lights that were LED'S and i was looking at the $100.00 set of LED lights, seems like a lot of money for something i will never see since i drive the truck. do any of you think LED show up better then older style, or vice versa?
just a topic i was curious on knowing some more details.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: LED'S vs old submersibles

I just repainted and rebunked my trailer and did not pop for the led's. I think they are more vivid. I would have gone with the all clear ones that illuminate the red or amber. But couldn't talk myself into it ...just due to the cost.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

The LEDs are definitely brighter. All you have to do is hang around a boat ramp until somebody backs in with them. You'll notice the difference. Is it worth the extra money? That's up to you. I will say I'm not running LEDs but I would like to.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are the "submersible" lights really submersible? I wouldn't have to unplug my electrics when launching?

Dave

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I redid mine with LED's. They seem infinitely brighter to me to the point where I replaced my bow and stern boat lights with them too. In a bad rain storm I like my trailer lights to be the brightest thing on the road for everybody behind me to see. I plan to add some LED side markers this summer since last summer some idiot merging onto the highway almost took my trailer off.

NakedDog

Seaman

I bought LED's on sale last year for $69. If they last as long as they are supposed to, I will be very satisfied. I was tired of always playing around with lights, looking for the good old #1157's at gas stations, or the 'extra ones' I bought then forgot where I put them, etc.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are the "submersible" lights really submersible? I wouldn't have to unplug my electrics when launching?

Dave

I never unplug my lights. Never had any issues in the years I have owned my boat. To each their own.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a set of LED's but haven't put them on yet. When I run out of spare bulbs then I will put them on in the mean time I still unplug the trailer. The ones that are on there now started leaking by the end of their first season.

superbenk

Commander

LEDs are WAY better than the submersibles. I think I just bought the ~$50 set from my local automotive store (just tail lights) and they've performed flawlessly. They are intensely bright & crisp. I never unplug my trailer lights & have never had a single issue. I'm considering doing the side lights as well, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I got something like this (probably cheapest available):

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=371580_0_0_

Brewman61

Ensign

I don't have LED's, but if I ever have to replace the lights, I'd probably put them in.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

ok well i am liking the answers, every one leans towards led's but the set i need is like $92.00 for both tail lights and the middle bar. with just tail lights they wanted over $80. just looked them up on "iboats" i can probably get a set of tail and a middle bar for around $40-50 so i think i will order these soon to finnish off my trailer.

Frozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the LED's and love them, so much brighter then my old lights. All my trailers have LED's now. Walmart has them for $49 I believe.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Put on LED's last month. Was sick of jacking with the old ones that were less that two years old. I just plug them in and go. No messing with bulbs, worrying if my blinker is working, or brake lights. They are BRIGHT!!! I can actually see them in the mirrors.
Way worth the money.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I considered LED's but ultimately went with the old, old school bell-type submersibles (Dry Launch). I prefer user-serviceable stuff when possible, not to mention made in USA.

River-Runt

Cadet

My trailer came with the LEDs, as has been said they are nice and bright, use less energy (not really a big concern) and stay cooler than conventional bulbs. On top of that there is no need to unplug them when backing the trailer in. I would definately recommend them if you are replacing your lights.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I considered LED's but ultimately went with the old, old school bell-type submersibles (Dry Launch). I prefer user-serviceable stuff when possible, not to mention made in USA.

Looked up the dry launch stuff, that guy has an axe to grind with LED's! I'm sure his stuff is a quality product, but his web site screams of crazy person/conspiracy theory guy... (random font sizes, colors, underlines, repeating, as well as the entire site is just pictures that contain text, instead of an actual website with text on it.)

Me personally... LED"s all the way. I've had mixed results with standard light fixtures, they all seem to leak eventually and either corrode away or pop bulbs on a regular basis. (yes, i never unplug them). I've retrofitted 4 different trailers now with LED's, haven't had a single issue on any of them.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Looked up the dry launch stuff, that guy has an axe to grind with LED's! I'm sure his stuff is a quality product, but his web site screams of crazy person/conspiracy theory guy... (random font sizes, colors, underlines, repeating, as well as the entire site is just pictures that contain text, instead of an actual website with text on it.)

Me personally... LED"s all the way. I've had mixed results with standard light fixtures, they all seem to leak eventually and either corrode away or pop bulbs on a regular basis. (yes, i never unplug them). I've retrofitted 4 different trailers now with LED's, haven't had a single issue on any of them.

All very true about the format of the site. But the product itself is top notch.