leave in antifreeze OK?

Mbrgr1

Seaman Apprentice
I winterized (drained) my twin engines (merc 165's) but I am switching back from automotive HEI ign to points, and back to mechanical fuel pumps, I'd like to be able to run the engines during this process, but don't want to get caught in a freeze.

Are there any problems with putting a bucket under the outdrive and filling the motors with marine antifreeze and just leaving it in there so I can run them when I want to?

Thanks, MK

Last edited:

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: leave in antifreeze OK?

i dont see why not as long as it doesnt reach its freezpoint? i could be wrong but it would make sence that would be ok. then engines will always have antifreeze in that way.

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Unless u have plans on running it out of the antifreeze filled bucket for a long period of time i would think it would be fine.

matt167

Captain

You will have to do an initial drain before firing them up in the bucket or you will dilute the antifreeze, otherwise that should work.. That's a LOT of antifreeze tho

Mbrgr1

Seaman Apprentice

You will have to do an initial drain before firing them up in the bucket or you will dilute the antifreeze, otherwise that should work.. That's a LOT of antifreeze tho

I did drain them already, and didn't get more than a gallon out of each, good question though, how many gallons each. Thanks

matt167

Captain

depending on the size of your buckets. You'll probably need 20ish gallons. 10 gallons per tub min

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

its getting to cold around this damn state (ny) to fast my project looks like its going to wait until spring good luck with yours :)

Bondo

Staff member

I did drain them already, and didn't get more than a gallon out of each, good question though, how many gallons each. Thanks

Ayuh,.... Did ya poke the holes with a screw or nail,..??

As Easy as it is to drain that motor, Forget about the bucket, 'n antifreeze,....

just do yer work on it, 'n Drain it each time,...

A Bucket, won't properly feed water to the impeller,...