learning to install electronics

capecliff

Cadet
What is the best place, book, video, web manual for learning how to install electronics, particularly how to tap into the power supply properly?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: learning to install electronics

"Boatowner's Illustrated Handbook of Wiring" by Charlie Wing. It has it covered.<br /><br /><br />
orng_md_wht.gif

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Going to be adding (ot tapping in) to electronics....one word of advice SOLDER.<br />The corrosion that boaters experiance is terrible and allot of slip shod connections can be the source of trouble. <br /><br />No matter how tempting a "scotch lock" connection may look, it normally causes poor connections over time.<br /><br />I sand all my connections, solder then seal out the moisture.<br /><br />Good luck. Happy Thanksgiving.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A popular way to seal solder joints is with "shrink tubing", that shrinks when heated. I prefer "Liquid Electrical Tape", which is a dip-or-paint-on vinyl. Either works very well to waterproof connections. Be sure to remove any residual flux before sealing.<br /><br />Good luck, Capecliff.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another point to consider, is using a good crimp connector (non-insulated), then solder.<br />A solder joint alone can be vulnerable to a over-heated wire, in which case, the solder can melt away.

capecliff

Cadet

Thanx J.B. (Sorry about our litle spat the other day)

petryshyn

Commander

Shrink tubing made by A/C delco has a sealant inside that flows when heated. The wall thickness is double average shrink tubing.