Leaky Boat

Plank

Cadet
Seems my boat has a very slow leak. I can see it dripping into the bottom of the boat. I cannot see where the leak is coming from. My problem is that i have no idea how to find where the leak is coming from.<br />Any help would be great. Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Leaky Boat

Hi, Planks.<br /><br />The first thing you have to do is tell us something about your boat, where is it leaking to, where from?? <br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

mrm

Seaman

I checked my 16' alumn. boat for leaks by filling it full of water--- when it was on the trailer. :rolleyes:

Plank

Cadet

My boat is a 16' Wellcraft Airslot. The leak is coming from where the transom meets the hull, about 16" off the bottom of the boat. When i look and feel along the outside of the boat i find nothing. <br /> Thanks for your replies.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Planks. <br /><br />Hmmm. That sounds very serious to me. If water can get through the hull at the seam between side and transom it must also be able to get at the wood in the transom. <br /><br />If you can't get it dried out and fixed quickly you will need a whole new transom.<br /><br />I wish I could visualize the stern of your boat and suggest how to isolate the leak, but I can't.<br /><br />The only thing I can think of is to grind the seam down to the wood in that whole area and inspect it. Then reglass the whole area.<br /><br />Others probably have better ideas than that.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)