leaky bilge

CadillacMan

Cadet
I have a 1989 Celebrity 265V.I just put it in the water for the first time. Water is coming into the bilge from 2 what appear to be drains coming from inside the hull that point into the bilge area at the botom of the boat. This is toward the transom at the bottom of the bilge on each side mirroring each other. There is a steady stream of water which keeps the bilge pump active. Where would this be coming from?
I cant find any info on the construction of this boat, just the tech manual of mechanics. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
WJShaw
I did put the drain plug in.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: leaky bilge

inboard/outboard? did someone remove drain plugs on the block or mainfolds, instead of winterizing?

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

A picture is worth a thousand words.

CadillacMan

Cadet

cadillacman69
[/URL][/IMG]

bilge.jpg
[/IMG]

picture taken looking toward transom. There is the continuous stream coming from the left. What are they?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

Those pictures Suck,...
But,...
It Appears to Me that those are Seacocks,+ the Plugs are Loose....

CadillacMan

Cadet

I will get a better picture. these are not plugged. its an opening from inside the boat
I am afraid to plug these not knowing where the water is coming from.
The port side is dry. The starboard side has a continuous stream.

CadillacMan

Cadet

Oh my! I figured it out. The 2 drains allowed the upper bilge for lack of better words drain off to the lower bilge. I pulled the boat out of the slip,and trailered it. I found the starboard outdrive transom nut was missing. This obviously cause the bilge to fill and was the reason there was water coming out of the starboard drain.
Gotta love boats...:)
now im off to figure out overheating problem on both engines. I was told to start with the impeller on the outdrives. They are Alpha1 first gen. Hopefully those wont be too much of a task. :confused:

CadillacMan

Cadet

Here I am again.

I trailered the boat inspected it for cracks or holes in the hull. The only hole is for the AC intake. It doesnt leak.
put it back in the water. As soon I did. It started takin on water under the starboard outdrive assembly. It is definitely coming in from outside. you can see it coming in from the bottom of the assembly as a steady leak. Is there anything that would leak in there that i can replace?
The only experience I have working around this outdrive was replacing the impeller. Mercruiser Alpha one MR. Seemed easy enough.

I am trailering it again. When I do, does anyone have any ideas that i can pursue? I really enjoy this boat,once i get through all the little ghosts that keep popping up.

WJS aka CadillacMan