Leaking fuel from male connector on Johnson 25 HP 1982

Greggo

Cadet
Guys hello.
When I pump the bulb I get a leak where the fuel line conncts to the male dual connector on the outboard The leak is not from the female hose connector. When I dissconnect it leaks a bunch for a bit. Can this be fixed? Replaced? How? I think this might be why I have a starting problem and the bulb doesn't stay hard.
Thanks!
Gregg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Leaking fuel from male connector on Johnson 25 HP 1982

It should not leak when connected, and if it does, it is the fault of the o-ring in the female connector....OR the male is bent or something.

OK, with the hose unplugged, it is normal for the fuel to back-flow out of the motor-side connector, and other than making a mess is no problem. That connector has recently been changed to one with a check valve to prevent that back-flow. You can install the new kind if the mess bothers you and EPA. The new one is part number 393334 and lists at about $47. Send me a PM if you are still interested, I have a couple of them that I can help you with at a saving.

EDIT: If perchance you are trying to use a Yamaha female connector, that is why it leaks. They look alike, but are different.

Greggo

Cadet
Re: Leaking fuel from male connector on Johnson 25 HP 1982

Thanks! I also replaced the pastic crimp with a steel one and it seeks to be better. I appreciate the info. Greggo