Leaking breather valve on 4.3 Mercruiser

Crown895

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I seem to have run into a minor issue on a repower motor. I have a 2008 Crownline 180 BR that I couldn't winterize a couple years ago while I was in the hospital fighting cancer. Needless to say, the block froze, and I had to repower. The new 4.3 TKS (2013 factory new) runs like a dream, but has one minor issue. The breather valve on the left valve cover weeps oil out of the rubber grommet between it and the plastic elbow. I've checked my spark arrestor and carb, and it has no oil on either. So, I don't think I have issues there. But I've replaced the grommet and elbow, and I still end up with a teaspoon of oil running down my valve cover after a typical 6 hour day on the lake. Is this just a cheap part that I need to upgrade, or just live with it and keep a quart of oil and some rags on the boat?

Crown895

Cadet
It's the plastic tube to grommet as far as I can tell. Like I said, I replaced it with brand new parts from the dealer, but same results.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Wonder if a really heavy coat of grease would help? Or maybe a tight wrap of 10 mill tape to make the fit better? That's drive me nuts. Leaks are for old wrecks.

Crown895

Cadet
I'm up for trying that. I also wonder about the plastic elbow getting hot and deforming under the heat. I think they should definitely come up with something for this. I think I'll go with the tape idea and see how that works. Thanks Rick!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Oil vapor condensing on the inside of the hose and running back. Normal

Could always run a zip tie around the plastic tube to clamp it to the elbow

Crown895

Cadet
Ah, that actually makes a lot of sense. It seems to pool around the base of the elbow, so I assumed it was leaking from there. Thank you sir!