Leak from rear of 7.4 Liter I/O

I have been trying to track down a leak in my 1995 Sea Ray with a 7.4 liter with Bravo 1 outdrive. The leak is about 3-5 gallons an hour.<br /><br />The first thing I did was to fill the bilge with about 5 gallons of water while it was on the trailer and look for any drips on the driveway. No water was getting out of the bilge. Then I hooked the engine up to the garden hose and started it. It took me about 15 seconds to see that in several places, the water was leaking from where the coolant hoses connected to the engine. Most of the connections are using 2 worm drive hose clamps. I noted 3 leaks that I can see. I will pull those hoses, and replace the clamps. I would also like to put a bead of silicone between the hose and metal intake. Is this a good idea?<br /><br />The biggest leak was coming from the back of the engine (towards the outdrive.) I can't see where it is from, but I assume that it is also a hose leak. I was a little afraid to stick my hand back there while the engine was running as I don't know what exposed gears or mechanisms might be spinning nearby. Is there a coolant hose that connects back there. If so, what is the best way to access it? Thanks in advance!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Leak from rear of 7.4 Liter I/O

Well,...........<br /><br />About the only Moving Machinery in the back of the engine bay Should be the driveshaft,+ It's buried pretty deep,..... You'd have to try pretty hard to get Stuck in it.............<br /><br />Hose Clamps don't often "Wear Out",....... Hoses Do.............<br />Was the cooling system drained at some point,..... It Sounds like it's never been put back Together..........<br /><br />BTW,.........<br />Stick your Head back there,....... Not your Hand.........<br />Ya Gotta SEE what's Leaking................. ;) <br /><br />No Sealant of any knid on the hose ends,.......<br />Properly Installed,.......... They Don't Leak............

Re: Leak from rear of 7.4 Liter I/O

Boy, if I could get my head back there, I should work for the circus. Unfortunately, there are fixed compartment walls on either side of the engine. I will borrow my wife's hand mirror to try to get a better look.<br /><br />The guy I bought it from said that he had all the hoses replaced 3 years ago. It has not been run much since then. It is a 10 year old boat with 210 hours on the clock (which I know can be good or bad.)<br /><br />I will tighten all the hose clamps I can reach and hope that does the job.<br /><br />Thanks.