Leaded gas

coyedsel

Cadet
I recently bought and am reconditioning a 1974 Evinrude 85HP outboard. Bought the OMC Manual and it seems to emphasize that LEADED gas should be used. That can not be obtained in my area. Should I use a lead subsitute or aditive and what brand or name?

coyedsel

Cadet
Re: Leaded gas

Just found my answer in a much older post. DO NOT NEED LEADED GAS!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Pay attention to the octane rating required. Some of those old motors specified leaded just to make sure they got the octane, not the lead. They were building some high compression engines that required high octane to prevent detonation, just when the auto industry was switching to unleaded regular. Very poor timing. I got stuck with two cars that required Premium gas back then. They would ping even while going downhill on unleaded regular.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

" I got stuck with two cars that required Premium gas back then. They would ping even while going downhill on unleaded regular."

That's because they meant what they said, Premium gas only.;)

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

You may also want to pay special attention to all fuel lines, gaskets and the like, todays gas contains Ethanol.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Hello,
My engine outboard manufacturer requires leaded gas. It says to use unleaded "only occasionally".

Could someone tell me where the information that these engines do NOT need leaded gas came from so I can verify this statement?

Thanks

I think the above responses should be all the verification you need.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Hello,
My engine outboard manufacturer requires leaded gas. It says to use unleaded "only occasionally".

Could someone tell me where the information that these engines do NOT need leaded gas came from so I can verify this statement?

Thanks

You posted this 3 times in 2 different forums. EXTREMELY bad form.

Q - What grade of fuel should I use in my motor?
A - Current recommendations are to use a minimum of 87 octane, 89 octane is preferred. There is no additional benefit from using higher-octane fuels, in fact they may cause hard starting conditions in hot weather. If you have an older motor and the owner's manual requires premium fuel, here's why:
When these were built, the best oil available was TCW-2 rated, and did not contain the additive package (detergents, carbon preservatives, etc.) which our current oils (XD-30, XD-50 and XD-100) contain today. In that era, premium fuel contained the additive package that helped prevent the formation of internal engine deposits. That's why premium fuels were preferred at the time. Ultimately, in the late 90's the federal government mandated fuel refiners to use the same additive package in all grades of fuel and the premium fuel requirement was dropped.

evinrude.com

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Knock it off, Sporty!!

This is the fourth thread (or maybe the fifth) that you have hijacked with the same question.

There is only one correct answer and it is in the thread you started.

If you are unwilling to accept the passage of 30 years and changes in technology, then junk your 1979 Chrysler.