Layup Help

rozicrc

Seaman
Working on a resto for a 1988 Imperial 200. I just got the port stringers glassed in today (15' on a 20' boat), but am relatively unhappy with the amount of bubbles I got in the 1708. I tabbed in 3/4" marine plywood with 6' of 1708, and then followed with another complete wrap of the stringers (2 on port side) with another layer of 1708. Unfortunately the biaxial got a bubble for the first inch from the top on either end despite me routering a round into the top, but overnight I noticed that there were quite a few quarter sized bubbles in the stringers themselves.

I am not too worried about the tops of the stringers, as those should not be providing the hull any support. I am a little unclear on what to do with the main body of the stringers, does anyone have any guidance on what is acceptable versus not? Looking at how the boat lasted 20 years (no bedding for stringers, no fiberglass all the way around in alot of places) I am not worried, but want to make pretty sure I don't regret not grinding them out. I am using MEKP catalyzed B-440 polyester from US composites if it makes a difference, many thanks in advance

Fingernip

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Layup Help

I had a hard time getting the bubbles out of mine as well. I was using the same materials but a bit longer pieces. In the end i actually ended up using my gloved hands to force alot of the air out. The problem i had was that because of the length of the pieces it was starting to kick in the pot before i could get it all wetted out. To make it worse, it began to become too tacky on the surface to allow the air to escape using the roller. I eventually broke down and started pouring resin into my hands and smearing it on that way. Gave me alot more control and made an entertaining sound. Made a mess of my gloves though.. $1 heavy rubber ocean state job-lot golves.

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

Smearing it on by hand--Now that my friend is funny!! No one ever mentions the times when you can't pick up anything cause your hands are covered with fiber strands and your fingers are stuck together,all your tools are stuck to the bench,or that during all this you have a fire burning a hole in your arm from spilled resin--ahhh I know so well!! And ain't shame to admit same!:D I'm just glad I don't do this for a living---I'd starve!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thats another reason why I think that it is important to start with 1.5oz mat... It will help this problem :)

YD.