Late 70s early 80s 22' islander

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
well the answers lie in your intended use and budget..... 3 ft is huge in my book... its 3ft X width X depth!!!.. and usually the longer boats are WIDER to begin with... I think a 25 ft boat being trailered weekly is a chore........ to me i wouldn't want to be trailering anything longer than 22 or 23 ft....on a regular basis. there are good deals out there all over the place... fiberglass and aluminum.... they each have their ups and downs... we seems to like aluminum.... so we are here....but you need to have a keen eye for the pitfalls of each type of boat and just make sure you don't get into a lemon.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
I believe that that 19 is 96 wide, same as the longer models. That is the model I'm thinking about to convert to SS trim, except I want an I/O.

Dan

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I believe that that 19 is 96 wide, same as the longer models. That is the model I'm thinking about to convert to SS trim, except I want an I/O.

Dan

yeah, Im doubting that the width is 96"... I think the 22 ft and larger v5's were the only hulls that had that 94-96" width..... im talking StarCraft ....of course im not sure about the SYLVAN models.....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The new addition, also can I start. Thread on the Starcraft page considering it is basically the same boat and after the summer it won't have any decals to say otherwise.

Heck yeah, that right there is a Starcraft Chief all day long. A decal means nothing and certainly doesn't change that!

fetch

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will take some measurements tomorrow after work, it's too wet out there today and I'm headed to my parents for dinner.

The real question is if I do sell this boat should I continue the restoration to the point of new floors and paint? Or should I just send it.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
send it as is!..... why dump $700 into it when youll lose all of that... its better for anyone who is going to restore it to take it apart themselves.... and see how and what was what..... and know where all the little parts went... if you had an open boat with no interior siding or seating or trim....maybe you could redo the floor and be ahead......ive torn down one complete islander and two "partials"... the partials sucked....what went where???? missing pieces all over the place.......

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
send it as is!..... why dump $700 into it when youll lose all of that... its better for anyone who is going to restore it to take it apart themselves.... and see how and what was what..... and know where all the little parts went... if you had an open boat with no interior siding or seating or trim....maybe you could redo the floor and be ahead......ive torn down one complete islander and two "partials"... the partials sucked....what went where???? missing pieces all over the place.......

The problem is I have gutted it so the pieces are out right now anyways. As a buyer I would rather have it put together for the fact I would know where stuff goes. I just keep going back and forth. It is quite a bit bigger then the 19ft sylvan, but it's not big enough to justify to cuddy boats. Maybe hard top it? Maybe bowlander? Or sell it.... I guess I will have to sit on it for now and think it over

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright so I have decided to keep it, I want to turn it into a cruiser, with a hard top. The beam measures 92-94, best of my guesstimating with the gunnels being so high. And the sylvan being a 19' measures 83 so ther is a huge difference. Also up this is much deeper. I will post pics of my progress as it continues

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey that's fantastic! I'll be looking forward to seeing you get her back on the waves. :thumb:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I had a hard time believeing that 19 footer had an 8 ft beam!!!!!!!! 83" makes much more sense....

bob

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Well now I'm not sure which is which. In going back over the catalogs, there are a number of hulls in the larger boats, with both SC and Sylvan.
But 19's at 96 wide were offered, but now I'm not sure it's the hull in question.
The pics in the catalogs show a straight or flat top to the transom in the wide versions, and this has the older rounded top like the SS or Holiday. And the SS and Holiday's are in the 80-84 wide range, depending on year.

I have seen a Sylvan catalog showing these models but can't find it again.

Attached is a page from the SC 1986 catalog.

Dan

Attachments

• photo272357.jpg
    photo272357.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Well now I'm not sure which is which. In going back over the catalogs, there are a number of hulls in the larger boats, with both SC and Sylvan.
But 19's at 96 wide were offered, but now I'm not sure it's the hull in question.
The pics in the catalogs show a straight or flat top to the transom in the wide versions, and this has the older rounded top like the SS or Holiday. And the SS and Holiday's are in the 80-84 wide range, depending on year.

I have seen a Sylvan catalog showing these models but can't find it again.

Attached is a page from the SC 1986 catalog.

Dan

the "V" models replaced the late 70's and early 80s V5 models... they had wide beams.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Yup, If I found a V5 I'd look real hard at getting it. I suspect these wide hulls are descendants of the V5, note the smooth sides.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
when I compare the hulls of the two boats, the 22 foot is much, much bigger, length, depth and width. I can't wait to get it back in the water. what were the years of the v5 hulls

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
78, 79 and 80 is what I've seen.

in the brochures , the cover page for 1983 shows an Islander V5 .....photobucket has blocked third party viewing of all its content , at least that's what it say when I click on any of the brochures pictures..... rendering them unviewable individually.... too bad..

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
You mean this pic?

yep...... when I click each INDIVIDUAL photo I get a message that photobucket doesn't allow third party viewing...or something to that effect.... and I have a photobucket account myself!!!!!!!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
yep...... when I click each INDIVIDUAL photo I get a message that photobucket doesn't allow third party viewing...or something to that effect.... and I have a photobucket account myself!!!!!!!
I just downloaded the pic then uploaded it directly into iboats in my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.