Last Bucket of Seacast Poured

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class
Now that the dust has somewhat settled after moving I've had some time to work on the boat. Yesterday I poured the last bucket of seacast. I am really happy with the results. I was a little worried since it has cooled down here and it was only 60deg yesterday but everything went well. The whole job took 2 3/4 five gallon buckets. All thats left is to clean it up a little. Stay tuned for my seacast review after I finish this thing up.

100_1122Small.jpg

100_1124Small.jpg

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Last Bucket of Seacast Poured

how did you get the seacast into the sides of the transom like that? Just wondering. And you had to buy 3 of the 5 gallon buckets? Is that what you are saying?

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup. I purchased 3 five gallon buckets. To get the seacast in the sides I used a heavy plastic garbage bag and duct tape to seal off the edges. At the top I left a 2 inch gap so I could pour the seacast in from the top. I put the seacast into a ziploc bag and cut the corner so I could pipe it in through the small opening at the top - like a pastry bag. Worked like a charm.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yup. I purchased 3 five gallon buckets. To get the seacast in the sides I used a heavy plastic garbage bag and duct tape to seal off the edges. At the top I left a 2 inch gap so I could pour the seacast in from the top. I put the seacast into a ziploc bag and cut the corner so I could pipe it in through the small opening at the top - like a pastry bag. Worked like a charm.

Did you have to do it in two different pours? I don't see how you could keep the seacast from flowing up out of the lowest part of the transom if you did it in one pour.

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are right. It took 2 pours.....well actually 3. The first 2 were on the same day about an hour apart. They recommend waiting at least 45 min between buckets to allow it to cool. I was pressed for time with moving so I poured the two buckets which brought it level with the top of the transom. That was enough to remount the engine and trailer it to the new house. The last pour was the upper portions under the gunwales.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

You are right. It took 2 pours.....well actually 3. The first 2 were on the same day about an hour apart. They recommend waiting at least 45 min between buckets to allow it to cool. I was pressed for time with moving so I poured the two buckets which brought it level with the top of the transom. That was enough to remount the engine and trailer it to the new house. The last pour was the upper portions under the gunwales.

Ah, mystery solved. I couldn't see it any other way but wondered if the material would have distinct weak seams if the seperate pours did not bond together.

Was the seacast liquid enough to eliminate any chances of voids? I assume there would be very little expansion as the material cured up?

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is liquid enough to avoid any voids. It's important to use a rubber mallet and tap the outside of the transom to help settle it and remove any air pockets though. I also used a stick to poke the material into some areas and remove any air pockets. As soon as you think it's full a couple minutes goes by and you need to add more. The stuff is rock solid after cured. When I tap on the outside skin it has a nice solid sound to it so I don't think there are any air pockets. The real test will be when I get the engine remounted with 7" of setback and go run it on lake michigan in some rough water next season. :)

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Ah, mystery solved. I couldn't see it any other way but wondered if the material would have distinct weak seams if the seperate pours did not bond together.

Was the seacast liquid enough to eliminate any chances of voids? I assume there would be very little expansion as the material cured up?
In the booklet FAQ's it states, "Can I pour more Seacast if I run out and need to reorder?"
"Yes, the additional pours will bond as if done in one pour."

It's as liquid as you want, depending on how much fibre you add. I had mine fairly thick, I tamped with a stick to drive bubbles out.

I had it between 2 layers of 9/16" laminate particle board, I see no expansion. The fibre would tend to prevent that.

I did have a minor problem with the original fibreglass distorting a bit from the heat, at the OMC boot opening. I had to do a bit of fibreglass filling outside afterwards.

I'll try to post pics on the Seacast sticky if I can.

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's as liquid as you want, depending on how much fibre you add. I had mine fairly thick, I tamped with a stick to drive bubbles out.

I had mine thick as well and it was still fairly liquid. Since the fibers are what gives it strength I used the whole bag of fibers with each bucket. I wanted it as strong as possible.

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did have a minor problem with the original fibreglass distorting a bit from the heat, at the OMC boot opening. I had to do a bit of fibreglass filling outside afterwards.

wire2,

Any idea how hot yours got? I took temp reading on the first 2 pours and the hottest I saw was 133deg. I actaully expected it to be a lot hotter than it was.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

wire2,

Any idea how hot yours got? I took temp reading on the first 2 pours and the hottest I saw was 133deg. I actaully expected it to be a lot hotter than it was.

It was much more. The fibreglass was way too hot to touch outside. I threw some water on it outside, dunno if it helped.

My mistake (possibly) was to do it 2 weeks ago when it was close to 90? here but I wanted to get it done. I probably should have mixed a bit less hardener in it at that temp but didn't want to experiment.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Looks great Esox!! Cap it off and good to go! You will be pleased when you look back at the motor at WOT and she is steady as can be!
I can stand on my cav plate and jump up and down with no movement in the transom.I'm a big guy too...;)

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am needing to redo my transom also and was wondering, if I you ever had to , would the top ever come off the hull? It seems they have been glued together at the transom.