Larson Boat, 1989 model, 3.0L, SE Outdrive, Engine dies when throttling in Reverse

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been many years since I have adjusted cables on a Mercruiser so I thought I would check in here with some experts first. Explanation: Drive shifts well into forward and reverse, however, AFTER shifting into reverse, and then applying additional throttle, the engine will die.....again, only dies when I apply additional throttle. The lower shift cable and bellows was replaced last year. Does this sound like a simple cable adjustment? Thanks for any inputs.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re-adjust the cables and you should be fine. sounds like a bit of over-travel with the control box cable

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re-adjust the cables and you should be fine. sounds like a bit of over-travel with the control box cable

Thank you for the help Bt Doctur. I adjusted both the control and the drive cable. The control cable was off about 1/4" and to my surprise, the drive cable was as well. After adjusting both cables, I shifted to reverse a few times on the muffs, and up to 1400 to 1500 rpms for a couple of seconds......worked every time! Much safer to operate. Thanks again.