Largest outboard starcraft

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Starmada!
I am looking for a project to work on and would like to have a good size fishing boat. Side console or center. Really like older aluminum boats. Would be running downriggers or just bass fishing. So customizations for the boat are in the books to ensure open bow, stronger gunwales, etc.
I really would prefer outboard and as wide of a hull as possible So the question is what models will have ouboard options? Would really like something larger then 18ft. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

airshot

Rear Admiral
I recall both Star craft and Sylvan make 21/22' aluminum outboard hulls. To my knowledge the 24/25' models were cuddy cabins. An open bow or decked run about would be easy to convert to your own specs.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Several options really. They mad the Mariner(MR models) in 18', 21', and 22'. The Supersport(SS) in 18' and 22', Islander and Chieftain in a few different flavors from 18'-26'. Most models had the outboard option, with the exception of the earlier Islanders which I believe were all I/O, although the later models could be had in ether configuration. Also some larger V5 hulls of several of the above, and an Offshore model that were all 18' or larger. Even the I/O models you sometimes see being modified to fit an outboard bracket, so I guess it all depends on how ambitious you are.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Several options really. They mad the Mariner(MR models) in 18', 21', and 22'. The Supersport(SS) in 18' and 22', Islander and Chieftain in a few different flavors from 18'-26'. Most models had the outboard option, with the exception of the earlier Islanders which I believe were all I/O, although the later models could be had in ether configuration. Also some larger V5 hulls of several of the above, and an Offshore model that were all 18' or larger. Even the I/O models you sometimes see being modified to fit an outboard bracket, so I guess it all depends on how ambitious you are.
Interesting, I could not find any chieftains or islanders in 21-22 with outboards. I will have another look. I did not know they made ss in 21 footer. Thanks for feedback.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Forgot about the Holiday as well, they had a 22' outboard model availbale. I know they made a 22' SS V5 outboard, but not 100% sure there was a non-V5 outboard available in the 22'. I know the Chieftain could be had in a 22' outboard, and only the later model Islander (late 80's on)with the larger cuddy had the outboard option. All the old school Islanders from the 70's and such were all I/O. That being said, they're not all that common when compared to the 16-18ftr's. Easiest to find is likely going to be the Mariner or MR. They seem to be the most abundant and only came with outboards.

MNhunter1

Ensign
select the year, hit apply, click on the catalog.

Outboard and I/O available in many of the 22' models in the mid to late 70's. Didn't dig too much deeper, but yes, SS, Holiday, Islander, Chieftain, Mariner...quite a few options in an outboard configuration. Now, finding one might be a different story.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
I think it was a Sylvan I saw for sale right after I bought my islander.
Welded Hull, outboard, cabin on the front.
I think it was a 20 or 21ft.

Seller was asking a bit more than I paid, iirc 15k and it was in Wyoming, like a 50min drive for me.

If the islander fell through it would have been a solid second choice.

I'll also note that I love the cabin config.
Being in a few storms with a smaller boat, and then with the Starchief, the difference was night and day.

For me the Islander just builds on that, for instance water channels on the gunnels to keep water out of the boat when the boat is getting "stuffed" into the waves.

I can't wait to try it on rough water once I have everything 100%. :love:🤘

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Also, all aluminum hulls arn't the same.
Just tossing that out there.

Most of the guys here know, I learned over the years.

for instance, I remember one that had a welded hull, but that hull didn't have any reinforcements inside.
It totally required the hull to be filled with expanding foam for structure.

Where starcraft boat's don't, plus there are a ton of them for cheap if you're willing to replace floors and transoms.

I can't wait to see what my hull structure looks like.
I have a later "V" hull that replaced the V5.
I understand it should have a "lattice structure" in addition to the normal ribbing inside of the hull.

for the older boats from the 70's and 80's, look for the tale tale ribbing on the front.

Random example I found on the Web, circled with red pen to show what I'm talking about.
v5Hull.jpg

These hulls are worth more $$, and worth it.

Now on my mid 90's Islander, they later changed the V5 to "V" designation.
They also moved those ribs inside of the hull (if I have that wrong someone hopefully will correct me).

My islander only has the "V" Designation on the capacity tag by the driver's seat.

Example of the rivets in the same shape of the V5 rib on my own boat.
IslanderVHull.jpg