Large tilting gator trailers

I have a 1972 Gator tandem axle tilting trailer for my 1972 Starcraft Chieftain 22' boat. It's adjustable as many trailer are and would be willing to bet it could take up to a 25' boat. I'm good with parts and repair. But I can't seem to find any other trailers like it. Whenever I search for a Gator tilting trailer I'm flooded with pics/info on the early style tube frame small trailers. Mine is a large box/c-channel constructed trailer. It's original to the boat, still fully functions. Has only had slight mods/rust repair over the years. But I just don't see them anywhere. Anyone else have one like this? Was tilting not a popular option for launching and recovering larger boats? And since my family has owned it since the early 80's, we bought it from the origin pal owner. Although not impossible, I would highly doubt someone swapped Gator decals onto another trailer. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I only have one pic right now that shows the trailer. It's even tilted in the pic.

Attachments

• photo225122.jpg
    photo225122.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Looks like a Gator to me! You are right though that you don't see many of the tandem axle ones. I have seen a couple over the years but most are smaller single axle and every one I've seen tilts. I own 2 right now and I actually prefer them to the new ones. The only issue I've run across is that the early 1960's trailers used 6" keel/spool rollers and it seems no one makes 6" rollers any more.

Here's a link to the one I just rehabbed if you haven't looked already.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...-and-towing/9970570-another-old-trailer-rehab

Nice trailer, Have you seen any that use a jack to tilt the trailer off the tongue? That's how mine works. I imagine if I were down south closer to the company in FL these would be a bit more common. My father and I have yet to see another. And I've only seen one other boat like mine in person. Just my luck I guess

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks. Can't say that I can remember one that tilts with a jack but at least here in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin there are still a good number of old Gators being used. From time to time I still see some of the really old ones that were built with round tube. As for your StarCraft there are still a good few of those still floating around. Can even find a few very nice examples right here on iboats!