laminating resin ????s

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok, im to the point i need some help, i have used general purpose resins before, never laminating resins, i get the diff waxed unwaxed.

1 do they set up in the same time? given all proportions are equal(resin/mekp)

2 how long can it set prior to laminating next ply?how long is to long?

3 i think i read on one thread something about styrene to reactivate, again after how long of a time would this come into play?, and how to apply, and how much?

4 how to seal it, if from what i read here in the info thread as long as air is present it will not fully? cure, do i then coat with a gp resin/paint or what?

thanks in advance for your help, i appreciate it.
D

I dont want to get into this thinking because i can lay over it agian its ok to leave it for a day/s or a week

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: laminating resin ????s

1 do they set up in the same time? given all proportions are equal(resin/mekp)

Laminating resin just doesn't have wax, everything else is the same.

2 how long can it set prior to laminating next ply?how long is to long?

Most of the time you have at least several days, just keep it clean, dry and out of the sun.

3 i think i read on one thread something about styrene to reactivate, again after how long of a time would this come into play?, and how to apply, and how much?

Styrene does nothing but clean the surface, forget about it.

4 how to seal it, if from what i read here in the info thread as long as air is present it will not fully? cure, do i then coat with a gp resin/paint or what?

Only the surface will stay tacky, but that will go away after a week or two, do nothing to seal it.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

To add to ondarvr's post, to seal the last layer, simply add wax to your resin. You can buy the wax from the same place you buy the resin. This way you only have 'waxed resin' when you need it. Just be sure to only use waxed resin on your final coat or else you will have to styrene and scuff the surface in order to add another layer.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the help guys, you know when you read some general info can raise as many ??? as it answers, this has helped a lot.
thanks again D