Lake Erie: fishing license?

mickms

Cadet
So I just got a boat, and with maybe all of 2-3 trips possible this season, was thinking of bringing a fishing pole along for some catch and release with the kids. I know there is a fishing license requirement but am I likely to run into an on-water fish-and-game/other enforcement officer checking for fishing licenses.

As long as I don't have fish coming in, or fishing gear visible in my rig, should I be ok?

ac0j

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Lake Erie: fishing license?

Really? Your asking permission from us to break the law? Just buy the lic. and you wont have to worry. The kids may not need a lic. If they are younger. Check laws to see if they can fish without a licensed adult.

jim372

Petty Officer 2nd Class

kids can fish with out a lic and you can help them
bait hooks , net fish , etc.
as long as you dont fish your self.
if you have a pa fish lic. erie stamp costs $10.00

check out pa. fish and boat com. web site
under faq

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fish on the fish for free days. I know Pa has two per year and NY has a couple per year also.

The folks who break the game laws by ether by ignorance or unpurpose cost the rest of us paying license holders considerably.

mr 88

Commander

The game wardens are all over the place and they will fine you.In NY the license goes from Sept to Sept.A lot of the money goes towards research/DEC ENFORCEMENT and yes ,stocking the lakes and tributaries.It's one of,if not the only fee in this country I do not mind paying.What State do you live in as there are 4 that share Erie.

aspeck

Staff member

The rods can be visible, but you cannot be holding any of them. The wardens have to catch you in the act, not just having a rod on board. Younger kids fish for free, so there is no problem with them. If you don't want to buy a license this year, then don't pick up the rod, and you will be okay and the kids can still fish and have fun and you can be the designated photographer.