L Drive steering problem?

maxum_man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my 1992 120 hp L Drive, the steering is pretty tight all the way up to WOT. When I hit WOT, @5100 rpm, it loosens up a little and has lots of play in it. I have greased it in the back, where the rod comes out and turned it several times to see if that loosened it up a little, but no relief. Also, when at WOT, it feels like the lower unit kicks a little bit sideways and I can feel it bump in the steering wheel. I had a guy tell me I would probably have to replace my steering cable. Without pulling it out and looking for numbers on it, does anyone know what Teleflex cable I would need for a 1992 Maxum 2100 LDC? Any help would be appreciated!!

Bryan

DukeDelago

Seaman Apprentice
Re: L Drive steering problem?

MaxumMan - I have a 1990 2100 ldc with the same issue, at certain speeds steering can be very tight, seems to work best at idle or on a plane and not so well if I'm "plowing" or trying to come out of the hole. I have ruled out the steering cable since under no load there is no issue. A damaged cable would not work at any speed. Put it on the trailer with the trim down most of the way if possible. with the engine off and the boat out of the water turn the wheel from lock to lock. If everything is smooth, the cable is not your issue. Sorry I can't be of more help, I've never been able to get a definitive reason of why this happens, and I have removed the power head and dropped the lower assembly. It just seems to be a problem with the design of the l-drive.

maxum_man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! I was getting ready to order a new cable!!

jjr1975

Recruit

I had the same problem with my 85hp l-drive. I greased up the lower unit (nipple is partially hidden at the top of the lower unit - best to drop it down first) I think the bearings were damaged or competely dry. Packed it up full of grease and added a Dolphin fin. Seemed to take a lot of pressure the off the bearings while getting up to plane. I could steer the boat once again!