Kota Trolling Motor question

Pedunk

Recruit
Will someone tell me what ?has US2? means on a Minn-Kota Trolling motors, I?ve see quite a few posts on this and other forums but no explanation as to what it is. My thanks in advance?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Kota Trolling Motor question

The motor has a sonar (fish finder/locator) transducer built into it. Using one of the adapter cables, the transducer can be connected to most of the popular fish finders so the need for a separate transducer is eliminated.

Pedunk

Recruit

The motor has a sonar (fish finder/locator) transducer built into it. Using one of the adapter cables, the transducer can be connected to most of the popular fish finders so the need for a separate transducer is eliminated.

Thanks for information, now that brings up another question: How does the fish finder/locator work when I'm not using the trolling motor? Yep, you probably guessed it I am completely lost with all of the latest technology now a days, I haven't kept up with any of it because I haven't had a boat since 1987. Now, I have an older than dirt 1978 Monark 17' Bassboat that is more-or-less past the restoration period, it has had some very poor work done on it and needs a heck of a lot of work. I've got a used Max Pro 80 coming for it and am totally lost about all the new terminology that's being used. Thanks for your help....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your fish finder/locator works just like would if it had a separate transducer. The MinnKota transducer has nothing to do with the operation of the motor -- it is just gong along for the ride. A totally separate adapter cable connects the transducer to the fish finder. If the fish finder is powered on it will work whether the motor is running or not.

NYBo

Admiral

However, if the motor is stowed out of the water, the fishfinder won't work.

Pedunk

Recruit

However, if the motor is stowed out of the water, the fishfinder won't work.

That's what I wanted to know, Thank You. Also, thanks go to Silvertip for his explanation. This forum rocks! Without it I would be totally lost, see an old man CAN learn new tricks.......;)

tommy29461

Recruit

Important information. U2 doesn't support Down Imaging. If you have a new Humminbird like I just bought. A 788ci hd di, you can only get 2 D sonar from the Universal 2. Something good to know. I have the 998c side imaging at the helm.