Knee jerk reaction

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class
So It was my second boat and we had a great day on the lake playin around. We are camping on the beach so I rig up a fore and aft anchor rig on the boat. That night a bad storm moves in quick. Storm was so bad we had to leave the tent and hop in the van. So Im looking towards the water, lightning flashes, and I see my boat floating away from shore. Without thinking I hop out of the van and go dive in the water thinking I can catch up with the boat by swimming after it. I eventually stumble back to shore next to another boater who had just pulled in. I explain my situation and he drives out after my boat. We arent finding anything. Suddenly lightning flashes again and in the distance I see my boat floating along the water. He pulls in next to it, I fire it right up and take it back to the beach, after i pull both anchors back in.<br />I learned two valuable lessons that day.<br />1) Your boat isnt worth dying for.<br />2) Always tie your boat to something real solid when you beach it for any length of time.<br />Later,

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Knee jerk reaction

That is the exact reason that when I am at a lkae for more than 1-2 days, I bring the tailor around under the boat, :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: put the trailer on the shore, tie the trailer to something solid, and at night, put the boat up on the trailer where it is happy and safe :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Had to be a ugly sight to see it floating away. Had a nightmare like that. Glad you got it back.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

What lake, Jeff? Your boat dragged two anchors out to deep water? Must have been a helluva storm. Good thing you gave up on swimming after it. The other boater going out in a thunderstorm to help was quite the hero. <br /><br />Welcome to the forum - it's good to see the new guy jump right in with an embarrassing story. :) Thanks for sharing.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would have done the same thing you did. Awesome that the guy helped you out. I suck at anchoring and its only a matter of time for me I think. :(

cntrydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As a young man I dove into a high sierra lake (with chunks of ice floating in it) to retrieve a favorite hat that had blown off of my head, I nearly did not make it back to shore, no one was even around to help if I would have needed it,(not that anyone in their right mind would have jumped in to help, but at least they could have reported that a dumb guy was at the bottom of the lake).<br /> Glad to hear you got your boat back and welcome to the board!

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was at Belton lake in texas. And we can get some nasty storms that come out of nowhere with 60 MPH gusts, and torrential rain. They last about 10-30 minutes and then it clears up just as fast. Like yesterday I was going home with clear blue skies and it started raining like heck with hardly a cloud in the sky. :)