killswitch evinrude 6hp

phralh

Cadet
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to build a killswitch on an 1970 evinrude 6hp? I do have a service manual with wiring schematics, but since this is one of those "on-cd", the quality isn't the best. Plus it doen't really cover how to make your own killswitch. I have found an older post on this topic, but didn't understand completely..

http://www.outboardmotor.biz/t/010791.html

Grateful if someone could explain this more detailed. Which cables to find, are they supposed to short to ground?.. etc..

Thanks!
//Fredrik

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: killswitch evinrude 6hp

I can't read anything from that link for some reason. But the kill switch on all the Johnson & Evinrude 2 cylinder magneto fired outboards works the same way and is pretty simple. First, you need a kill switch. Iboats and others sells the type that have a lanyard you can clip to yourself; that's probably the easiest to use. Otherwise you can really use any normally open, marine grade pushbutton switch.

Once you have that and mounted, you connect one lead from the switch to the connection screw on one point up underneath the flywheel, and the other lead to the other point. The idea here is this: connecting the screw on the point to ground prevents the magneto from firing. Whenever one point opens initiating a spark, the other point is necessarily closed & connected to ground. So by connecting the two together, you effectively ground out both magnetos at the same time, killing spark on both cylinders.

Naturally, you'll have to make a couple holes in the armature plate to run the wires, and protect where they come through with grommets. Also, you have to accommodate the turning of the armature plate. Good quality 18 gauge wire helps here.