Kiekhaefer Mark 58 Shift rod alignment

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I just did a Mark 55 the other day - same procedure. I prefer to put the shift rod in neutral, with the upper also in neutral. I do this, because I've had issues with the shifter going beyond forward or reverse on some models as there isn't a stop inside the gear case to prevent the rod from rotating all the way around. Neutral is a positive spot on the cam, easily found by feel as you rotate the shift rod. Grease the driveshaft and shift shaft lightly before assembling.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
How can I tell that the shift rod and upper are both in neutral?

The lower unit's shift rod will be between the forward and reverse detents - and the propeller will spin freely. Use a pair of pliers with a rag over the shift rod splines to prevent damage, to rotate the rod.

The upper will be mid-way between forward and reverse positions. I believe there is a detent in the linkage that allows only partial throttle in neutral, too, which will help you align it.

jeepjack1995

Cadet
After 2 hours of trying I was unable to get the shafts aligned. The splines do not line up. What's going on here? Has anyone had this issue before? Is there another adjustment I can make...Perhaps at the shift lever? I'm at my wits end here.
Thanks.

merc850

Commander
Here's a picture of the shift shaft in neutral - remove the shift control cable, turn the shaft to this position set the LU to N grease the LU shaft and put it together; the reverse lock cam must be set right as well or it will stop the LU from moving up. When it's together adjust the shift cable barrel to fit together with control in N.
If the upper shift shaft is twisted this will also cause the splines to not line up. mk58-shift-lever.jpg

jeepjack1995

Cadet
Kiekhaefer Mark 58 Prop rotation question

Here is my question. When the shift shaft is in neutral the prop spins freely both clockwise and counter clockwise... no problems there. When the shift shaft is in reverse and I turn the drive shaft the prop spins counter clockwise, same when the shift shaft is in forward. I would assume that when in reverse the prop would spin one way and when in forward it would spin the other. Am I missing something here? Is this normal?
Thanks.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Something going on here - prop should spin clockwise in forward gear (looking from rear) with driveshaft spinning clockwise (looking down). Propshaft should turn counter clockwise in reverse. If this isn't happening, then you have other issues.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Make no assumptions.---The motor when running turns clockwise looking from above !!

jeepjack1995

Cadet
Ok, If that is the case then something must be wrong. When in forward gear and spinning the Drive shaft clockwise the prop spins clockwise like it's supposed to. But in reverse it doesn't spin at all. Guess I'll be tearing the LU apart.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Are you sure the shift shaft is in reverse? Driveshaft spinning with propshaft not spinning is neutral.

jeepjack1995

Cadet
Here is what I found. When the LU is in reverse I can hear it clicking like it wants to engage reverse but the clutch dog isn't being pushed far enough to do so. I'm guessing that the shift cam or cam follower are worn out and therefore not pushing the clutch dog far enough to engage.

jeepjack1995

Cadet
No Title

Here is what the clutch dog and cam follower look like.

Attachments

• photo265429.JPG
    photo265429.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo265430.JPG
    photo265430.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 1

jeepjack1995

Cadet
I figured it out. Who ever had this thing apart last took the cross pin slide out and didn't replace it. har har.