Kicker steering to I/O

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Joe,,,Cab3las sells what your looking for...it's specifically for the I/O to kicker application.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have not used a panther, nor did I ever see one until the video potsed above, so I can not offer any coments from personal experience. But, based on my own personal use of kickers I would have some reservations.

First of all, I would prefer to use the steering wheel in the boat. I often have to make some very small corrections and can easily tweak the wheel. Looking at the video, it appeared that the motor moved quite fast from side to side. I could just see me zigzagging down the river.

Next, I have tried running with the main disconnected, or even in the all the way up position. Not a good approach. Having the main steer with the kicker works best for me. More positive steering and better control, especially if its windy out.

After you buy it, provide a test report to let us know how it works...

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Know what JimS has in mind by zig-zagging -- fighting wind, waves and current for control, while trying to fish.

Sometimes the wind and waves flat out overwhelm an auxiliary. Independent steering can be effective, though. The trolling motor acts almost like a thruster in making corrections -- and quicker turning side to side can be an advantage for control. I've also found that a high thrust prop on my 9.9 makes a big difference in control -- might be a bigger factor than independent steering.

I like remote shift and throttle on the kicker, whatever the steering setup -- recommend that, although it adds to complexity.

The boater in the clip also had an electric troller on the vent plate of the main -- would like to have seen that in operation under the same conditions.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I think a high thrust prop is mandatory no matter what.

A center mounted engine controls just fine. That's why the main bolt-on electrics are popular in big waters.

But the kicker is mounted to one side. In my case, its on the stbd side, and thus the boat turns to port real easy. But if the wind kicks up and i have to turn to stbd, there have been times that I couldn't get there, while a turn to port will lose control and do a doughnut.

In my case having the main act as an additional center mounted rudder minimizes the problem.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
No Title

My setup is on an inboard (Trojan F26), center mounted. Control is pretty good, although it's a tall hull for a small motor (catches the wind).

Attachments

• photo229569.jpg
    photo229569.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 3