Kicker setback and height question

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
I am planning on running my Evinrude 4 deluxe as a kicker on a Yazoo 1542. The boat will have a '75 Evinrude 40 as the main motor, and has a 20 inch transom. The 4 deluxe has a short shaft, of course. I picked up a nice extrusion at the scrapyard this morning, that will give me the setback needed to mount this kicker and still be able to tilt it, as I opted away from the adjustable height ones. Now, seeing as there are 10 inches of setback, should I still run the kicker with the cav. plate even with the bottom of the hull, or should I raise it up some? I like the idea of raising it up some, as that gets the powerhead farther from the water when running the big motor. But, will I lose any speed or bite by raising it up? I need to get 2.7 mph out of this setup in calm water, for trolling, so if I am to lose bite, I probably ought to keep it low.

Thanks,

bassboy1

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Kicker setback and height question

you've actually stumped me.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The A/V plate can be higher than the bottom of the hull and with more set back you can go even higher. My prop shaft is about even with the bottom of the hull directly in front of it with no set back and if I run wide open it will suck air at times. I don't need to run it WOT so there's no problem,

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

The A/V plate can be higher than the bottom of the hull and with more set back you can go even higher. My prop shaft is about even with the bottom of the hull directly in front of it with no set back and if I run wide open it will suck air at times. I don't need to run it WOT so there's no problem,
I am aware of the fact that a large motor could be run higher with no adverse (and some positive) effects. That is what led me to this question. I need to know if there would be any adverse effects to raising it up some.

tashasdaddy

i think you need to put the boat in the water with the main engine on it. the weight that is going to be on the stern. mark the water line. then set the motor up from the water line, as you usually would. you got to be able to keep water to the 4 deluxe. it is not going to be planing, so the water level should stay about the same. a picture of the mount you are going to use would help.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Don't know if you new I was talking only about my kicker in this post.

Yes you can run into problems, if it gets too high you will ventilate and lose thrust, or it may just churn the water, plus you can raise it to the point of not getting any water into the pump. No water means no cooling, this results in a rebuild or new motor.

If you have a V hull, then as you move a away from the keel the transom will be shorter. So many times you can run a short shaft kicker on a long shaft transom. Do like TD said and find the water line and work from there.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Probably going to just put the cav. plate even with the water line. It is a 15 foot 7 inch mod vee, but at the stern, it is a full flat bottom. Here is the mount I am using.
Yazoo004.jpg

Yazoo005.jpg

It is a piece from an overhead track that the postal service used. When they didn't need it anymore, they scrapped a couple hundred feet of this track, and I bought this at surplus aluminum price.
It has 9 inches of setback in and of itself, but by the time I get the two inch "transom" if you will, of aluminum plate and plywood, I should have the 11 inches that will allow me to tilt the motor up into the full tilt and full turn position without the boats transom interfering.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you put it that high it may not move the boat, or at least not well, the A/V plate will need to be below the surface. As you start to move forward at low speed the water will be churning right at the transom, this dirty water will offer little bite for the prop. The set back will help, but it still needs to be low enough to for the prop to be in somewhat clean water. The deeper you go the better it will work, but you still want to mount it as high as possible, so you may need to mount it, then test it at a couple of different heights. I assume you will bolt a thick piece of plywood to the aluminum, if so just put a couple of extra mounting holes in it so it will be easy to change at the lake.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

At the low speeds you'll be running with the kicker, your boat will be more susceptible to wave action, i.e., it'll roll from side to side. If you set the kicker's cav plate even with the waterline, every time your boat rolls to the opposite side it'll pull the prop out of the water.

Set the motor up so the cav plate is at least even with the bottom of the transom at your mounting point, and be prepared to lower it more if necessary.

I have a kicker mounted on a Garelick adjustable bracket. With the motor tilted down and the bracket in the "up" position, the motor's cav plate is roughly even with the waterline. I can't run it that way. I have to lower it to keep the prop in the water.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Even better, try this site:

http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=71078

You can download the mounting instructions for a fixed mount from Garelick. That should help you figure out the best height for your mount. They've been in the business for a long time

tashasdaddy

i think you can mount it a little low, the mount a piece of 3/4 ply to the bracket. with a couple of test hole drill into the ply. give it a try, then remove the motor, move the plate up or down, and retry. until you find where you want it. the mount the finished plate, from your test piece. makes you a temporary adjustable plate so you can find the sweet spot.

that is what proper set up is. adjusting till you find the right place.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

i think you can mount it a little low, the mount a piece of 3/4 ply to the bracket. with a couple of test hole drill into the ply. give it a try, then remove the motor, move the plate up or down, and retry. until you find where you want it. the mount the finished plate, from your test piece. makes you a temporary adjustable plate so you can find the sweet spot.

that is what proper set up is. adjusting till you find the right place.

Probably use that method, thanks.

On my last post, I didn't mean to type even with the waterline. It was supposed to say even with the bottom of the hull, as the big motor would be. Stupid me, forgot to proofread.