Kicker Questions

RMB

Cadet
I have a 15' Smoker Craft with a 50 HP Force/Merc. I like the boat, but without the trolling plate it idles too fast to troll, and with the plate I have to run higher RPMs, the engine is loud, and the boat is more difficult to steer. So, I'm considering adding a kicker, but wanted to get some opinions before I lay out the $.

If I go this route, I am going to get a 4 stroke - quiet is good! My question is, what size do you think would be adequate? On-line, I can get a brand new Suzuki 2.5 HP for about $650. I've seen some used 3.5 HP for around $550. 4 HP and 5 HP seem to go up in price considerably.

I'm leaning toward the 2.5. New, warranty, light weight, VERY efficient (.25 gallons/hour at WOT), but am a little concerned that might not be enough HP. Do you think that the 2.5 is big enough to push my boat around in low/moderate winds at elevation? I usually fish above 7000'.

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Kicker Questions

Yes, I had a 2 hp on my 16.5 Crestlinere and it did aa nice job for walleyes but if there's wind ???

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You should consider a quality wireless control bow mount electric trolling motor like a Motorguide Wireless or Minnkota Ipilot. They have no exhaust fumes or noise, no fuel consumption and no maintenance (plugs, oil changes, impeller change) other than charging the battery. They're very quiet, they offer better boat control for turning and staying on course, work well in wind, and elevation doesn't matter.

I have the Motorguide Wireless 55 (lb.) on my 17' Tracker Pro Deep V and do a lot of trolling with it. It's a 12 volt system so you only need one good deep cycle battery. I have the key fob remote control that's not much bigger than the keyless remote to unlock your car or truck. I can operate (steering and speed) the trolling motor from anywhere in the boat.

These motors are variable speed at about 0.1 mph per click and about 25 clicks, so obtaining and maintaining an exact speed is easy. The variable speed conserves battery power. I can troll at 1.0 mph for 2+ days without recharging, I can troll at 1.5+ mph for all day and still have some reserve at the end of the day.

Deeppowder

Seaman Apprentice

I have a Mercury 5 hrs on my 18ft boat. It pushes it well even in the wind. Slowest speed with no wind is about 1.2mph (gps). Find it a little loud.