Kicker questions for trolling use

HydroGeek

Cadet
I would like to add a kicker to the back of a 17' Fish and Ski. This is a Ranger 617 fiberglass and has a 150hp Yamaha on it.

This is the first time I've done this, so I have a lot of noob questions.

1) I'm assuming that there is a linkage extension which will let me attach my main steering control to hook over to the kicker. Is this true? If so, please point me in the direction of a vendor or part number.

2) I'd like to be able to control the throttle for the kicker at the steering wheel console. Is it possible to get a remote throttle control without the electric start? I don't care about electric start.

3) Likewise, I don't think I need power trim on the kicker. But here is a question that will illustrate my cluelessness.... when running on the main engine, I'm assuming that the kicker is raised / locked upright such that the prop is out of the water. Correct?

4) Any suggestions on a motor to use for this? Sadly, cost is an object, so I will probably be looking for a used motor. I think I read that the Yami T-8 is well respected, but they look hard to come by.

5) I've seen all kinds of discourse on mounts as well. I don' think I need it to lift up and away, so a fixed mount will probably work for me. I'm open to suggestions here too.

6) Finally, any advice on mounting the mount? I'm not exactly keen on just starting to drill holes in the transom, but I realize it has to be done. I'd appreciate guidance here.

Thanks!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
1. Yes a Panther steering link works well, they sell them here on iboats.

2. Yes you can get it with remote controls, electric start and power tilt and trim are becoming more common now.

3. It will be tilted up when running on the main.

4. Yamahas are very good, they are easier to troll with than most other brands. The T8 isn't made anymore, but is a very good model. Most people just stepped up to the T9.9 None of current 4 strokes are bad, so even though the Yamaha is the best, they all work well.

5. Can you mount it on the transom next to the main motor? If not a mount works fine.

6. Just drill the holes and seal them up, not really a big deal.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Google panther t4 or t5. Not cheap but thats what im looking at. I chose a Gerelick lift bracket

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
The Ranger 617 is an awesome boat,...

If you can find a nice used T-8 they are an awesome kicker, And have built in trim and tilt,....Trim in tilt is really nice if you use the kicker much,
Otherwise it get's old manually raising and lowering a kicker,..

The Panther tie bar works great for connecting to the main motor to steer while trolling,..

An alternative to the remote controls is a throttle control like a "Troll Master" "ConTroll King" or "I-Troll",....All 3 of these work well, They allow for small rpm adjustments to better control speed when trolling,..

Not sure if a kicker mount is needed on a 617, If anything a Panther static plate might be needed,...

I'm sure if you call the fine folks at the Ranger factory they will be more than willing to help find out what is needed for mounting,...
Have your hull id number handy when you call them,....