Kicker Motor Bracket

AFDan52

Seaman Apprentice
My new Boat #2.jpgHi guys, I have a 1997 Starcraft Superfisherman 170. I have a Remote-Troll unit that I would like to mount on the transom for my kicker motor , and I need to install backing plates for the bolts. Problem is that I might need to remove the rear decktop to get access, is this going to be the only way to do this ? I'm open for ideas.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Kicker Motor Bracket

What boat do you own?? what brand troll control? Need photos to advise?

AFDan52

Seaman Apprentice

You might want to read the first post again. The trolling unit is called a Remote -Troll steering unit for the kicker motor. The boat is aluminium. Not trying to be difficult.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Not trying to be dillicult at all. Is the trolling unit electric or Hydroulic?? . I used a Troll ez mfg by Goetz engineering and aii hardware was mounted under the splash well. I currently have my 9.9 kicker beside my 200 OB on a 22 ft Holiday I really prefer it ot the connecting tube used by EZ=Steer that snaps on to the rear of both motors. They come apart and it is easly lost. The new bar Im using is less expensive and allows both or seperatly each motor to raise or lower. it can be unsnaped without leaning way over the back of the boat. If the boat you show is yours the steering for both is very easy to do and reachable.

AFDan52

Seaman Apprentice

index_remotetroll.jpgHere is a picture of the Remote-Troll unit I want to mount on my boat. It is electric , and has a 20 ft. cable to steer from anywhere in the boat. I used this piece on my last boat and it works really good. Yes the in the picture is my boat , I also have a Yamaha 9.9 hp kicker to use on it. This unit lets me use just kicker or just the main.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Never seen one like that. Does the controll unit its self turn. Looks nice only ones Iv used had to be tied to the big motor Except the hydrolic unit made in Northern Idaho by Goetz Engineering. Can you not bring the cable over the transom and thru the main motor wire groment . then it can be stored under the splash well when not in use. Nice boat and looks well equiped. Electric downriggers I see.

AFDan52

Seaman Apprentice

www.remotetroll.com is the website you can check it out . The kicker motor mounts to the remote troll unit and it turns left or right.They do have different versions. It is made here in Northern Utah. The remote control cable can be run anyway you want. I love this boat it what I was looking for all along. It is well equipped and the downriggers that are in the picture were sold and I have some Scotty's that are ready to put in their place.

dave 524

Seaman

Honestly, I really don't think you would need a backing plate, pretty sure the transom would be sufficiently strong that good sized washers will do. My bracket while not hydraulic has been there over 20 years with just washers on a similar transom.

AFDan52

Seaman Apprentice

Dave , my real problem is that I can't get access to the Port side of the transom with out removing the top deck. There is a live well near the area and I don't know how the deck is attached.

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

You have the best setup with the kicker on the transom. Far better then on a bracket hanging off the back. I do understand the need for a remote steer as I would like one on my tub. The remote that many around here use is the TR-1. I will have a look on the interweb and see if I can find you a link.
GLG

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

EZ troll in Viola Idaho just north of Moscow makes a hydrolic control with a cord for diriction. I used it a few times but it was more work than i thought it would be and you always have to go to the motor to set speed change gears or turn it off Real pain after used a while The tri is controlled by Gps and keepsits course unless changed I Think. I had real concers about the motor on a bracket on my 22 holiday as it puts you way away from control of the boat in case of a problem. I did have a rear swat that made it furthern to reach which I removed and have stored. Good luck Ill look up the web site you posted . Ed

AFDan52

Seaman Apprentice

Guys , I got to looking at the transom tonight and found a way to mount my outfit on the boat, I was able to get access to the area that I wanted. So I am going to be able to mount my unit right where I wanted. I appreciate all of your comments and help. I will post pictures when the project is completed, though I am going to have to replace a piece of carpet as it was thin and worn out anyway.