Kicker motor, additional transom weight

N7XW

Cadet
Which would you guys recommend, a fixed kicker bracket or an adjustable one? I was thinking a fixed bracket with the highest weight rating I could find. I'll have to be careful installing it so that the motor is at the correct height in the water. I'll need to do some research on that as this will certainly be my first time trying to install one.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There's pro's and cons of each, fixed are stronger and don't bounce around, plus cost less. Adjustable will let you raise the motor well above the water so the lower unit doesn't drag in the water, which on some applications is handy. People will put a ratchet strap around the motor and adjustable bracket to keep it from bouncing. I've had both, and prefer fixed if possible

N7XW

Cadet
There's pro's and cons of each, fixed are stronger and don't bounce around, plus cost less. Adjustable will let you raise the motor well above the water so the lower unit doesn't drag in the water, which on some applications is handy. People will put a ratchet strap around the motor and adjustable bracket to keep it from bouncing. I've had both, and prefer fixed if possible
Thanks, appreciate it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Also have used both fixed and adjustable. Will add that adjustables differ. The wide OMCs were (are?) probably the most sturdy. For big water, I think an adjustable is probably a good choice as it allows you to get the kicker up and out of the way (following seas, for example).

Pretty much whatever you're most comfortable with.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Which would you guys recommend, a fixed kicker bracket or an adjustable one? I was thinking a fixed bracket with the highest weight rating I could find. I'll have to be careful installing it so that the motor is at the correct height in the water. I'll need to do some research on that as this will certainly be my first time trying to install one.
I have had many brackets and have both fixed and adjustable now.

My adjustable is an OMC bracket that has 34 seasons on it. Its still good as new. When I bought it it cost double what the others cost. Comes with a gas cylinder, not springs. A few years ago I saw a NOS one on Ebay and snapped it up as a spare. They don't make them any more. Personally I wouldn't buy any of them on the market now.

Several other adjustable ones with springs only got used once or twice and i gave them away.

My current fixed is a Garelick and that's what I would buy now. Height isn't that critical. The prop should be below the bottom of the boat. The height does not need to be exactly 15 or 20". It should be high enough so that when the motor is tilted up, it will not drag in the water.