Kettering points at extended idle / trolling.

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class
I seem to remember someone telling me kettering points can cause trouble if you have them and idle for extended periods... like when trolling at minimum speed. Plug fouling and excessive wear on the ignition system is what happens if I remember correctly. Is this true? I can't seem to find any good information on this.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Kettering points at extended idle / trolling.

I seem to remember someone telling me kettering points can cause trouble if you have them and idle for extended periods... like when trolling at minimum speed. Plug fouling and excessive wear on the ignition system is what happens if I remember correctly. Is this true? I can't seem to find any good information on this.

First time I've ever heard someone call a points system "Kettering" Points.

My last boat was a 1966 MarkTwain with a 150 Mercruiser (inline 6 230 cu-in GM)

It ran 39 years with little maintenance. I don't remember Dad replacing the points or plugs very often (I know I didn't) and he did HOURS and HOURS of trolling.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Points are more likely to go Bad in the down time of Winter, than runnin' durin' the Summer...

They oughta be changed durin' the Spring tune up...

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks!

I call them Kettering points when I can't think of the word breaker.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thanks!

I call them Kettering points when I can't think of the word breaker.

When most of us hear "points" ignition, we usually know what someone is talking about!;)

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

When most of us hear "points" ignition, we usually know what someone is talking about!;)

lol, it was late and I was tired.

Any ways, the points I had were pitted so I just ordered a pertronix upgrade... along with a Torque Shift prop. :D I've wanted one of those props for about 5 years now.