Kel tec p32

southkogs

Staff member
I chose 9mm at the time I bought based on ammunition (9mm was considerably cheaper at the time). I would be affordable to shoot, and still have some punch. I would have preferred a .45 ACP, but wanted something that I would shoot often enough to be confident with it. The .380 that I have is a pocket gun that's really for the convenience of carrying. I needed something that concealed really well, and my Taurus is a little bulky. The LCP shoots well enough, but it's a little thing and tough to control. Better'n nuthin' if it came to it, but not a gun you shoot for fun and to impress the guys in the stalls next to you at the range.

I think for a carry gun, the most important thing you can have is confidence that you know and are comfortable with the gun. Though if you've got a flare for the dramatic ... a .44 Python Magnum might scare 'em enough without firing a round.

aspeck

Staff member
If I want to impress the person in the stall next to me I use my Ruger .44 Mag Blackhawk ... scaring looking thing, loud as can be, and accurate. Recently won a little friendly shooting competition with it going against a couple dozen guns, several of them being law enforcement officers. It is just way to big and bulky for a conceal carry! LOL! Unless I am wearing a sport coat or jacket at all times ...

Pusher

Lieutenant
If I want to impress the person in the stall next to me I use my Ruger .44 Mag Blackhawk ... scaring looking thing, loud as can be, and accurate. Recently won a little friendly shooting competition with it going against a couple dozen guns, several of them being law enforcement officers. It is just way to big and bulky for a conceal carry! LOL! Unless I am wearing a sport coat or jacket at all times ...

My brother owns that gun and I love it super accurate like you said.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If I want to intimidate, I carry my old bear gun, my .454 Casull, that thing is a monster and has the kick to prove

82rude

Rear Admiral
I use to have the 44 Blackhawk also.If I lived in the u.s.a. that would be my gun of choice.More fun though was my 44 Remington 1858 army revolver in b.p.I also loved my ruger 22 bull barrel .In fortunately up here in Canada pistols are extremely regulated, so I satisfy myself with rifles instead. The one that got away was a brno zzk safari grade .375 h and h magnum.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I use to have the 44 Blackhawk also.If I lived in the u.s.a. that would be my gun of choice.More fun though was my 44 Remington 1858 army revolver in b.p.I also loved my ruger 22 bull barrel .In fortunately up here in Canada pistols are extremely regulated, so I satisfy myself with rifles instead. The one that got away was a brno zzk safari grade .375 h and h magnum.

Wouldn't that 375 H and H Magnum be a little hard to wear concealed? :eek:.

MTBoatguy, if I am not mistaken, a 454 Casull is actually a lengthened 45 Long Colt Cartridge. I mean they lengthen the original 45 LC a 0.010" longer to make that round. So you should be able to shoot 45 LC ammo through that same pistol but you can shoot 454 Casulls through a standard 45 LC pistol. I have a Thompson Contender 45 Long Colt barrel which also chambers a 410 shotgun shell. So I can shoot either from it. It probably can chamber the 454 Casull as well. But I'd have to check and verify that first.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
GM, the Casull is a hot load and packs a punch, a bit more than the LC round and it just fires and sounds different, it is an experience to shoot, I can tell you that.

Here is a quick couple of quotes off one of the pages I read every once in a while comparing the two of them:

A 454 is about three times the pressure and three times the recoil. soot one before you buy one. The recoil is about double a 44 mag.

so there is quite a bit more pressure involved and another thing is velocity:

Physically, it's sorta like a 38 and a 357. The Casull is a twentieth of an inch longer (1.279 vs. 1.311). Power-wise, a Colt pushes a 250 grain bullet at around 800fps. Casull pushes a 300 grain bullet at 1600.

There is really quite a bit of difference in them, to me the Casull is worse to shoot them the .500 S&W mag

I have shot both the .375 H&H as well as the .458 Winchester and there is a big difference between those rifles, the H&H I can handle really well, the .458 brought tears to my eyes and I was bruised for a week.

The .45 Colt runs at a pressure of around 14,000 PSI the Casull runs about 55,000 PSI

82rude

Rear Admiral
gm280 you have to wear baggy pants to concel a .375 h and h .MTboatguy a 460 weatherby mag is that much more than the 458.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
gm280 you have to wear baggy pants to concel a .375 h and h .MTboatguy a 460 weatherby mag is that much more than the 458.

Have no desire to shoot a .460, my shoulder won't take it any longer!

:eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MTBoatguy, I actually have shot a 454 Casull before and was able to handle it quite well. I was at one of the local shooting ranges and the owner of a gun shop I frequent showed up and told me to shoot theirs. It was powerful but I still had no problem. But you have to understand I shoot all types of heavy recoil handguns and rifles. And they knew that and wanted to see how I like theirs. One huge reason they lengthened the 45 LC cartridge to make the 454 Casull was to make absolutely sure you couldn't chamber one in an old weak Colt 45 revolver. It would literally blow the cylinder and barrel up and probably kill the shooter as well. And that was also the reason that 357 Mags are longer then 38 specials as well. And also the 44 specials and 44 mags. You can shoot the lesser rounds in a gun to handle the powerful ammo, but not the other way around. But I think you probably all ready knew that as well. :thumb:

bigdee

Commander
Thanks everyone for your input. Pusher sent me a spreadsheet of compact pistols which was very helpful for comparing the most popular 380/9mm pistols. The one pistol that jumped out at me was the SCCY CBX2. I held one at a gun shop and liked the way it felt in my hand and fit in my pocket. After hours of you tube videos that is the one I'm going to get. I liked the Keltec 32 but I have plenty of 9mm ammo and don't like hunting for less common ammo. I don't mind recoil but limp wrist failure in a panic situation was a concern. The videos showed some attempts to fail the gun by purposely limp wristing and it still performed. A friend has a Taurus TCP 380 that will jam easy if not held tight but it is a blowback and the SCCY is a locked breech.....so maybe thats the reason.

southkogs

Staff member
Taurus action is kinda' funky sometimes. I don't dislike my gun, but I wouldn't rush out to get another. Their revolvers are supposed to be much better.

Sounds like ya' got one you'll like shooting - which is probably key to having the right gun. Congrats.

Pusher

Lieutenant
The one pistol that jumped out at me was the SCCY CBX2. I held one at a gun shop and liked the way it felt in my hand and fit in my pocket.

Congrats. Looks like a nice one to handle at range with the formed grip too. If it's an option some ranges have rental deals so you can test run a piece. Locally it's like $20 and you can shoot any gun you want.

Oh, you might compare prices between buds guns and your local gun store. Some dealers will ship for you for $20... Some for $50 so a deal is relative.

bigdee

Commander
Congrats. Looks like a nice one to handle at range with the formed grip too. If it's an option some ranges have rental deals so you can test run a piece. Locally it's like $20 and you can shoot any gun you want.

Oh, you might compare prices between buds guns and your local gun store. Some dealers will ship for you for $20... Some for $50 so a deal is relative.

Yeah I have bought from Bud's before but I am going to trade-in my Taurus ply22. Already talked to local shop who said they would allow $125 unseen if I bring it in they may offer more. Price of SCCY is $278.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
bigdee, I looked up that little gun and it seems it got some good reviews and solidly built too. The price seems very reasonable and I can't see any reason to not buy it. But once you own it, go to the range and shoot it until you can handle it without any issues. I say that so you can not only be albe to hit what you want, but are totally familiar with all its functions even in the dark if you have to use it. JMHO

Pusher

Lieutenant
Don't ask me why the sig 938 isnt on that list.... It might have been the price tag, but can't remember.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Oh forgot to mention if you click the arrows at the top of each category you can resort it by that category by clicking the a-z button.