Kawasaki skid plate?

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My friend just bought a highly moded kawasaki 750sx and loves it except that at about 40mph it starts porposing (can't spell sry) really bad. So we figured that a skid plate would take care of the problem, we just don't know which one to get, so i told him that i would ask the experts. So, what does he need to get?

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Kawasaki skid plate?

He needs a longer ride plate. Its not a skid plate its called a ride plate :)
Does he have the trim system on his ski. if he does he needs to trim it down a little bit He may have it all the way trimmed up. if he doesnt have the trim system he needs a longer plate to keep the ski nose down a little more. Where does he sit when he rides. if he sits far back ( usually tall guys sit further back) the weight on the back of the ski will make it ride nose high thus the porposing. Also check and make sure that someone didnt shim the ride plate on the front bolts. There are a lot of companies that make ride plates for kawis. R&D or Worx ride plates are the better ones out there. I would look for a used one. Save some $$.
Also it will drop your top speed slightly 1-2 MPH not enough that youll notice but you will notice better handling. His riding position will make a lot of difference also
Rob

JUSTINTIME

Captain

ask the guys at pwctoday.com
they are experts on these things

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

those came with electric trim// most don't work when they are that old his nozzle is aimed up too high and if he fixes the trim he can get the nozzle aimed down more it will solve the problem,, he may want to build a non electric trim adjuster or first just un hook the trim cable and let the nozzle flop, because under power the nozzle will automatically go to the center and that alone may solve his problem

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another thing that I also thought of is, that my friend who rides it is about 5'3" and 115lbs, so would being small person contribute?

P.S. I'm kinda embaressed about calling it a skid plate, I know it is called a ride plate, I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I look at snowmobile/quad parts too much.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

I sort of disagree with jeff. A smaller person will have less of a porposing problem than a bigger heavier person IMO. A bigger person has more effect on how the aski rides in the water depending on weight placement.
No biggie abotu the ride plate skid plate thing. I knew what you meant.
Look into a longer ride plate, see if the trim is working and if he even has ii. It could of been removed or simply stopped working. the trim button is yellow and its on the left side of the handlebar.
I think its called Katz ( acronym for something) or something liek that.
Rob

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

those skies do not hop if the nozzle is aimed properly,, try unhooking the trim cable at the nozzle and see if that helps as the nozzle will automatically go to dead center when the pump is pushing water through it.

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We took it out this weekend, he went and bought a jet dynamics ride plate from a local store, and it made a huge difference. It stopped the porposing, and made it handle better, there wasn't a huge difference in top speed though because it already had a after market plate, just not a very nice one. He also just got a modded 2001 ultra 150 w/ 190 hp, i rode that all weekend, 81 mph WOT, on the speedo, fastest thing on the lake.