Kawasaki jet ski, Engine revs away even with hose hooked up?

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer
I had the ski out and was winterizing it and i hooked up the hose and turned it on and after a few minuts it reved away like crazy. Rediculos rpms and aftar when i was putting fogging oil in it did it again after a few seconds. Im thinking maby the water impeller is bad? Does it have one? Scares teh S.... outa me like it going to explode. I want to sell them but not if its broken?
Matt

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Kawasaki jet ski, Engine revs away even with hose hooked up?

Sorry, 1994 Kawasaki supersport XI 750
It runs fine in the water.
Matt

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

very common issue with 2 stroke engines,, you have a vacuum leak in the carb area probably a bad base gasket under the carbs or you are really lean,, if you want to stop the engine when it does that pull the lanyard and open the throttle wide open,, I know it sounds like what you don't want to do but that will shut it off.. you must find the leak to fix it,, or rebuild the carbs if it doesn't have a leak.

5:00

Cadet

Definately look at the gaskets. It also depends on how fast it is really reving.

Is it doing the same thing when you have it in the water or only on the hose? It sounds from your last post that it is only in the water.
When it is in the water you have resistance on the impeller. Out of the water you have almost no resistance and the RPMs will go up. It shouldn't go an insane amount however.
On both of my skis, there is a pretty good difference in and out of the water but not to the scary point. It could be that the idle is up way too high to compensate for another issue?

My ski below revs quite high and loud out of the water compared to in the water.

beachB1.jpg

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

no i know what you mean but this is like an air leak. Iv had many skies and never had this problem ill rebuild it sooner or later.
Matt

5:00

Cadet

Well, with the season right around the corner, I would do what Jeff said and fix it rather than a rebuild. You will be riding much more quickly.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

well i have my boat so i dont need the ski right away. It needs new engine mounts ( i can move it side to side with my hand) and carb rebuild. As well as a nice clean up inside the engine compartment.
Matt

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone know where to get a 1994 kawasaki supersport xi carb kit? I cant find one?
Matt

RCHRR

Cadet

You can find them at "sbtontheweb.com". I have the same ski. Just rebuilt the engine and carbs. I traded a 1990 truck for 2 of them. One runs great but I had to do a complete built on the other. I got it started today for a few minutes but really had to work at it. I guess I need to carry it and have it tuned up before breaking it in.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think s b t sells the carbs just the kits,, try www.jetkingparts.com for a new or a used carb they carry both