just wanted to share

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class
howdy just wanted to share this with all of you.to start off im rebuilding a 1978 procraft 1640 bass boat.going ok but alot of non co-operating weather so its slow.had decided that the old force 85hp was in need of replacing so went shopping for an old outboard of a 90-115hp range.well a friend needed help roofing his house and asked if i would stop by and spend a little time on the roof.being a good friend i said sure.there were 3 of us and although it wasnt the most professional job in the world it looks good for ammatures.<br /> well he wanted to pay us for helping out.i told him not to worry about it just to remember that eventually ill need a favor.he told me he was going to pay me anyway but he has very little money so didnt know how.i didnt want to offend him so told him whatever he thought was reasonable, and whenever.i dont really need the money and im not in any hurry.well he has an older boat in his back yard dont know what make or model.just a mid 70's tri-hull.with a 100hp johnson commercial outboard.still runs just needs a bit of tuning,cleaning, the regular stuff.so if you havent figured it out by now...yup he gave me that old outboard.A 1971 johnson 100hp commercial,in running condition.he knows i was in need of a motor and preferably an older one to fit the are of the boat.i believe this one will fit very well.i did try to turn it down once but didnt on the second offer.just happy to help out a friend.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: just wanted to share

What's that they say about "One good deed"??

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

A "good samaritan" is always repaid "ten fold". When I was a young man i was referred to as the family chump as i helped friends in need ,now all in our (seniors) it seems they have all turned into couch potatoes.As daddy said ......put good things up in the bank (brains) because some day you will need to draw from it.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Well said, bernieb. Nothing is more satisfying than helping others out of a jam. It may take a while, but it will come back to you someday. Kinda like being on this forum..... ;)

Gus Mortimer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Helping out is always a good idea. I drive a cab in a college town, I shudder to think what could befall some of those girls I have scooped up off the street too drunk to know where they are. <br /> The boat I have recently finnished was one of two given to me by a friend. One of those "get that junk out of my yard" kinda things. He seemed to be very fond of the older of the two (71 starcraft tri-hull with matching 100 johnson) a very solid boat just in need of interior really. I dont really have a need for two boats so I am planning to put the interior back to good and do a little work on the motor to get it right and see if he doesnt think he might use that old girl a few more times (I think it just got where he didnt want to put any time into it).

boatin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What goes around comes around.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

bernieb <br />Id like to use that on my kids someday with your permis of course.<br />as far as helping ive always been that way.not taught to be that way.single parent home mom didnt know how to raise a boy dad not around you get the picture.so helping others was a way for me to learn skills and and pick up on lots of useful knowledge, as well as gain an interest in many hobbies.ive never regretted a giving a single favor.kindness puts a smile on everyones face.

rwise

Captain

And thats enuf (enough) to make it worth while! Good luck with your project.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Middleground,<br />Can you point me to that Usenet guitar group? My son's a budding guitarist and we can't afford lessons right now. He's real musical, has been playing drums & taking lessons for 10 years and we're looking into piano lessons too, so the load is great.<br /><br />You can e-mail me at: karryinon(at)aol.com<br /><br />Thanks a lot, much appreciated!<br /><br />
Originally posted by Middleground:<br /><br /> I can identify with this thread. I taught school for 30 years, and the urge to "help out" others - simply becasue you're giving them knowledge, and then *they'll know*, gets into your blood. Being a lifelong guitarist, I also contribute to a Usenet group for beginners in guitar, hoping to do the same thing. It's like an obsession, in a way - but it harms none and helps some.<br /><br />Middleground