Just starting out

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

I just recently started wakeboarding. My question is has anyone else experienced lower back pain when they first started out? I've never had any back pain issues before and now it feels that I have either pulled my lower back left side muscle or I just worked the hell out of it and I am that much out of shape.

Cheers.

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Just starting out

If it doesn't go away go to the doctor. But i think you're probably just not use to using those muscles so intensely. Stretch A LOT before and after and be persistant. By the end of the season you'll be able to ride all day with no pain or soreness and you'll be in suprisingly good shape. Wakeboarding is a hell of a workout and a lot more fun than lifting weights.

1fast68

Cadet

I have some lower back pain and I just started. I pulled my back muscles pretty bad a few years ago so I blamed it on that. Usually after 10 minutes of riding the pain goes away and I don't feel it anymore that day but the first 10 minutes are real uncomfortable.

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm going to wait it out a little longer and see if the pain subsides. I agree that it is a hell of a workout and I should have stretched prior to and after boarding. All other muscle pain has gone away and it proved to me how out of shape I really am. It's just this stubborn lower back pain that is hanging around. Too bad, it's the long weekend and I was ready to giver again!

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How are you holding the handle and what's your posture? I had the same issues starting out (previous back injuries) and since then I have changed a couple of things - 1) Try concentrating on keeping your back straight when riding, as if standing at attention in the military (except keep your knees bent). That will allow your skeletal system take more of the stress. 2) I hold the handle parallel with the water with palms face down now. Previous I held the handle vertically and palms facing each other. For reasons unknown, this seemed to help relieve strain on my back. 3) Situps. I've incorporated more situps and oblique twists into my workout which I think made the most improvement. Strengthens the core....

Hope that helps

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the pain subsided Thursday night which is a good thing. I decided to give it a go on Sunday night after my wife finished up her shredding. I managed to get up and on the first shot and thereafter for a few runs. However, the last run of the evening the old lower back pain decided to resurface so I let go of the handle asap.

This morning the pain is still there but not as bad as last weeks pain. This time a stretched which probably helped. I wonder if it is that my muscles are weak since I sit at a desk all day and I need to strengthen my core. I can attest that I am not the most fit guy in the world.

We'll see what next weekend brings!

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How are you holding the handle and what's your posture? I had the same issues starting out (previous back injuries) and since then I have changed a couple of things - 1) Try concentrating on keeping your back straight when riding, as if standing at attention in the military (except keep your knees bent). That will allow your skeletal system take more of the stress. 2) I hold the handle parallel with the water with palms face down now. Previous I held the handle vertically and palms facing each other. For reasons unknown, this seemed to help relieve strain on my back. 3) Situps. I've incorporated more situps and oblique twists into my workout which I think made the most improvement. Strengthens the core....

Hope that helps

Thank you for your reply and I will definitely try this. I'm not sure what my posture looks like but I do hold the handle parallel with the water with my palms facing down. Situp's, yeah they are a must.

Cheers.

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everyone is different...

I only had thigh and leg pain when I first rode.

I think everbody hurts a little after their first few times out. Maybe a little rest and then gradually build up to a few tows now and again and then when you feel stronger charge all day. Maybe a little overeagerness just staring out but hey no pain no gain.

Curly Fry

Cadet

Yes, its perfectly normal. Once you strengthen those muscles it will go away.

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Back from another awesome weekend on the water. Decided to do some lite stretching of the lower back before heading out and this time their was no pain at all! Now if I could only manage to stay up! Bring on the weekend!

WakeMe

Seaman Apprentice

I'm in good condition for my age, although I have soreness everyday after boarding ... what a feeling! Never hurt my back boarding, but I've done a couple face-plants resulting in instance migranes

I believe the older we get, the more obvious its become to be in great shape for water sports!

WakeMe

Seaman Apprentice

Do a lot of core strengthening, try the P90X Core Synergistics workout -- Awesome!