Just got done with a ton of work on the boat

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
So far today was busy. I got the drive pulled off ( Cobra) pulled off paert of the housing and installed a new exhasut bellows and U joint bellows and pulled the support bearing and installed a new bearing. also pulled the old cable and installed new cable. All I have left to do is adjust the shift cable and put the drive back on.

Bad thing was i broke the big pin that goes though the outdrive and the hydraulic rams bolt to. The onld owner used a regular nut and it corroded liekit was welded on. Tried everything from pro[pane torch to a Oxy torch to heat it up and no go. i ended up shearing off one of the threaded ends so Im picking up a new one tomorrw. no biggie the ld one had a slight bend in it.

All I gotta do is figure out how to adjsut the cable and Im back in business.

I can tell you that Im not sorry I did the work myself. All the shops around here wanted 250-350$ just to replace the shift cable and all the other stuff was anywhere from 95 to 400$ on top of the 250-350. i basically said F that and I did it myself. I spent 230 $ in parts.

the shift cable 97$
Carrier bearing 50$
bellows boot 50$
marine stereo with speakers 33$. This has nothign to do with what I did today. I found it in the clearance bin at the marine supply place I go to. the guy said its in the wrong spot but it was marked at 39$ and when he scanned it it was 33.
I ended up having to get a bearing puller which was ok cause its also a body dent puller kit.
All and all I can say dont be afraid to jump in and do your own work..

Now does anyone know how to adjsut the shift cable. i read Stuarts How To on doing the shift cable.
I tried doing it by myself but havign to get in and out of the boat was a PITA.. Must of been tired from all the other crap I did today.

In easy terms can anyone give me a starting point to adjsut the cable?

Thanx
Rob

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Just got done with a ton of work on the boat

Stuarts "How To" is the best thing going. If it's not right you will damage the drive.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good job Rob454 you are a Piker my friend welcome to the club.

V.P. Pikers Club!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

No OMC manual? The cable needs to be measured at the engine and then the belcrank set at exactly a 90 degree angle to the face of the transom plate.
I will try to scan it from my manual and post it this afternoon for you.The pics in the book really help..
This adjustment is in nutrual,then you put it back in forward to install the drive..

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Here ya go,

omcshiftadjustments1.jpg

OMCshiftadjustment2-1.jpg

Start at #52

Let me know if you want i can email you the pics