Just got a 1959 5 1/2 evinrude no clue how it comes apart

eloham1979

Cadet
I was just given a farm fresh 5.5 evinrude the motor has sat in a barn for 20 years it was stuck I pulled the head an filled the stuck cylinder with tranny fluid diesel an PB blaster it took a week it is freed up good it has spark I put a large drill on it an spun th motor quite a bit after I broke it free an saw it sparking to the outer case but my main problem has been stuck bolts an I wanted to tear this thing down an put a new impeller in it an service the lower end an I was a little surprised to find when I removed the bolts from the foot there is nothing there to disconnect the linkage so I went for the motor an figured there has to be a clevice or some form of disconnect at the top my problem is I know nothing about this motor I see the flat head screws that bolt the motor to the upper pan but there does not seem to be a way to get to them it has been a chore as all the bolts have been stuck on this little motor the thing looks great an is complete but has been one heck of a bear I think the transom mount needs to come off but its being a jerk an I thought maybe I am not going about the dis assembly process right as I am sure it should not be this hard I can rebuild a automatic transmission but this thing just does not want to come apart lol thanks for any help or tear down info

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: Just got a 1959 5 1/2 evinrude no clue how it comes apart

Welcome to iboats

If I remember right, it was over 35 years ago, to disconnect the shift linkage I had to remove the power head. It was just a few bolts(7 or 8) and it lifted off. Once it was off it was just a matter of disconnecting the rod from the shift lever. The pan stayed attached to the exhaust housing. Our 5.5 was a 1964

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

:welcome: eloham.

Check out this link:

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-ev...vinrude-5-5-hp-lower-unit-removal-199535.html

it goes over what you are trying to do. jimmbo is right you have to pull the power head first.

Here are a couple of service manu@ls for that motor that might help you out down the road.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html#/0

http://boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/manuals/1956-1970johnsonevinrude.html

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yup 7 standard slotted screws from the bottom around the perimeter. Soak them for a bit first in PB. You will also need to disconnect the throttle tower from the powerhead, and remove the fuel line.

Pay attention to the carbon seal assembly at the top of the drive shaft, very critical piece. Ensure gasket and o ring are in good shape.

To disconnect shift rod, simply remove the 2 3/8" nuts on the top of the threaded rod. Easy Peasy.

eloham1979

Cadet

hi guys thanks for all the help so far I spent 3 hrs trying to get the power head off all bolts where stuck an real stuck I chiseled a couple lose as my impact driver that I use on bikes wont break them loose I have got them all now but 2 an I can get vice grips on the heads of either of them but they won't buge they flex a little but no dice it has been bad I have been spraying this thing down for a few days right now I have it on it side with oil in the exhaust side an every stainless bolt I break take forever to drill dulls a bit pretty quick as well oh well once I get it apart I will put a full overhaul to it as I won't leave anything to chance Again super info I really do appreciate it is there a favorite site for parts for one this age or do you guys think the local dealer will be my best bet?

eloham1979

Cadet

Sorry guys the stuck bolt are the exhaust bolt I need to run to the store as I am out of map gas I was thinking a little heat my get it singing for me for some reason every bolt on that same side of the motor has been stuck with heavy oxidizing just on one side must have been stored near a battery or fertilizer or something that caused it I would say saltwater but it should have done all bolts if that's the case or that's what I was thinking an something was living in a cylinder it was full of what looked like coffee grinds ,bug shells an the best a few pieces of acorn lol in the cylinder the piston was all the way down something small lived in the exhaust I thought the motor was stuck until pulled the head once I got that junk vacuumed out spins ok I soaked it with oil as well for about a week but want to break it down just to give it a good thorough cleaning an all new seals an rings an so on

Last edited:

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did a 1955 5.5hp this winter. All the powerhead bolts came out fine except the rear center one. I fought with it , and finally it broke off. I tried welding a nut to the piece still in the power head, but after about 8 tries, there wasnt much left to get ahold of with the welder. So I carefully drilled and tapped the hole. All came out well. When I re-assembled it , a liberal coating of antiseeze was applied to the screws that go into the exhaust housing. Good luck with it. I would love to see pictures of your motor if you get a chance to post them. I also have a 1961 5.5hp that needs re-building. It runs, but is weak.

Last edited:

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh your idea of using some heat is probably a good one. Sometimes it doesnt take a lot, about the temp that map gas can produce. I like using it over 0xy-acetylene, as it is easy to get things to hot with it.

eloham1979

Cadet

thanks I'm hard at it an finally success I have the powerhead off an most of it tore down an in some berryman rings where stuck on the one cylinder the other is perfect not even a ring grove in the bore there was still paint over all the gasket seems I can't swear to it but this thing does not look like it ever did much of anything all the brass bearings on crank look good have not been able to break the screws loose on the flat cover on one side of head it has 10 flat heads I was able to get 3 loose with my hand held impact I have used a whole can of PB on this motor over the last week lol went and got more tonight at walmart no map gas had to use camping propane lol it got the job done all this to disconnect the shifter linkage lol I know it would not have been this bad if bolts where not stuck lol I have restored 2 motorbikes in the last month an it has taken me better then a week to get this one little motor to cooperate lol Thanks again to all you great goru's if it was not for guys like you all helping someone like me who has much knowledge in other area's of mechanics but this was my first boat motor so I really do appreciate the knowledge you have given great guys I will keep you posted as the saga continues lol

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned

Glad you're making progress. The hardest part about these old motors is loosening frozen bolts. Once they're free, the rest is pretty cheap and easy.

eloham1979

Cadet

I have it all apart know an only 2 broke bolts to deal with I have been able to get all the rest out even the ones I broke lol thanks again it looks like I can get most parts at napa the one link gives all the basic part numbers which is great I will just need to hunt down motor an case gasket part numbers an rings I want to do all the seals is there anyone that sells a whole kit? for reasonable or is it cheaper to buy seperate