Just curious about tabs

KYsean

Seaman Apprentice
I was wondering ,if trim tabs are so important as some boaters feel, why don't they come standard with a new boat? I only ask because I know little about them. thanks, Sean

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
Mainly cost. Manufacturers don't want to add another $1k to the cost of a $25k boat. Most larger more expensive boats do come with them. I wouldn't own a boat without them.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Trim Tabs are not necessary on all boats. They perform best on stern-heavy boats. These are usually equipped with sterndrive engines, or multiple outboards, especially on a bracket. Single outboard power, on a 20+ foot boat may not need trim tabs, as they will have better balance in the hull.

KYsean

Seaman Apprentice
That answered my question, thanks. I'm glad I didn't have to add that expense. My boat must be sized right enough not to need them.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
I agree with Chris on them not being necessary on some hull/motor combos. Most of the bass boats I've had and driven don't really need them. But they are nice on pretty much any hull. Gambler Bass boats use them so they can get on plain in shallower water. You can alse use them to level the boat for weight or weather conditions. OP if you don't need to control bow rise on hole shot and get on plain faster, level the boat out for changing loads, or force the bow down to smooth out the ride in rough water then you probably don't need trim tabs.

MRS

Commander
Tabs are the best thing I ever added to my boat a real plus if your are going to tow the kids around on tubes will help keep the bow down big time. Plus I do not have to stand up to see over the bow on take offs any more they just make the ride all in all a lot more enjoyable....

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Some boats need them, some don't, mostly because of hull style. I own two boats, both '21 feet and carry the same load in both. One is an '84 Sea Ray cuddy with a deep V hull. That boat needs tabs but doesn't, probably because of the price point when it was built. I move folks around to keep it balanced laterally. Actually, with my family as passengers, they know where to sit. The other boat is a Four Winns deckboat with a cathedral hull. It doesn't need tabs no matter the load.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
nice to have mostly, not a must have.

I love being able to balance in a crosswind.