Just a question 1971 18 hp Fastwin

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I figured out my water pump issue. The water pipe was not seated in the Water pump housing grommet. My question is, is that pipe copper? Why wouldn't Evinrude use something more durable? If I had to replace would it be really hard to replace? I rebuilt the whole engine (new powerhead) so I would be able to do it, just wondering

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????----Really-----You can not improve on that copper pipe.------Would you choose something from plastic ?---It is easy to replace as it just pulls out of the upper grommet.-----And the upper grommet is easy to replace as well.-----Brilliant stuff in my opinion.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In my opinion you should not question the design of a 1971 model 18 HP.-----One of the best examples of a design that offers the following features.------Easy ( no special tools required ) to repair / inspect lower unit.----Easy to repair / durable magneto.-----Easy to repair carburetor and fuel pump.-----A model that was available for many years, parts are everywhere !!-----If you are willing to roll up your sleeves you will not need $100/hr shop support to keep it running for years to come.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Copper has been used for the plumbing in homes and other buildings for years & years. Hard to improve on such a proven product for plumbing use.... Way better than plastic and / or galvanized plumbing. Maybe stainless steel tubing may give the copper a run for it's money, but would the extra cost be worth such a small improvement, if it would be an improvement at all?

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Copper has been used for the plumbing in homes and other buildings for years & years. Hard to improve on such a proven product for plumbing use.... Way better than plastic and / or galvanized plumbing. Maybe stainless steel tubing may give the copper a run for it's money, but would the extra cost be worth such a small improvement, if it would be an improvement at all?

In my opinion you should not question the design of a 1971 model 18 HP.-----One of the best examples of a design that offers the following features.------Easy ( no special tools required ) to repair / inspect lower unit.----Easy to repair / durable magneto.-----Easy to repair carburetor and fuel pump.-----A model that was available for many years, parts are everywhere !!-----If you are willing to roll up your sleeves you will not need $100/hr shop support to keep it running for years to come.
I'm not, that engine is near and dear to me. I already said I did the Powerhead replacement. I also rebuilt Carb and Water pump, Replaced seals Lower unit, Coil, Points, Condensers, Fuel Pump. I also retrofitted an Electric Starter that was not standard on that model. Video on YOUTUBE. I just need to dial in the idle this weekend. The best part is I never did any of that stuff before. This engine is a workhorse!!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry-----We are curious as to why you are slamming the copper water tube as being poor material choice ?

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was just asking. It felt a little soft to me when I moved back in place. I have no doubt in my mind, the Evinrude people knew what they were doing. I was more thinking ahead in case I had to replace it and what was involved. By the way a guy quoted me for $120/HR shop support. Going to try to dial in idle this weekend after doing all that work this Winter. I'm sure there will be more questions. Thanks so much for all the replies