Just a bayliner question?

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys

I just looked at a 1998 bayliner Capri 1952 that's is clean for a 98 but the guy bought it and didn't know he had to winterize it so bye bye block. He said the first year it was in his garage so he was ok and the second year it went outside so that was that. At this point he just want to get back some of what the mechanic got him to diagnose it. It has a 3.0l with an alpha one and finding a donor motor is easy they're a dime a dozen around here. Obviously I would go over it better to make sure it's solid if I get more serious. It would only be to upgrade from my little 17ft thundercraft with a 2.5l and alpha one that I use for my dad, friends and I to use on the local rivers and lakes. I just want a small cuddy for me to crash In when I'm night fishing (just enough for one guy) we're not going into big water because my dad has a boat in cape may nj for that. The guy wants $500 for the package which is boat and galvanized trailer, it was covered so it's not a bad it's actually really clean it just look like needs a bath and motor😂. I know that bayliner has its problems but got a little better so were they junk in 1998(not trying to offend anyone) and maybe not worth entertaining and I should just go back to looking. I figured for $500 and around a $1000 for a good clean running motor I could have a fun winter project. I already have a bunch of spare parts for my 2.5l including a drive. I really just never looked into bayliner much because of all the bad stories. any input is much appreciated !

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
The first thing that comes to mind - the trailer alone is worth $500.00. Go for it!

roffey

Commander
IMHO, I really don't think manufacturer makes a difference if the boat is a 1988 and has made it this far. I think the question is can you swap the 3.0 for a 4.3? Personally I think a 3.0L on a 19 foot cuddy would be under powered.

southkogs

Staff member
If the boat is in good condition, then I wouldn't be afraid of it inland. Bayliner's construction had improved by then. If the trailer is in really good shape, and you honestly could get $500 back out of it, then it's all probably worth it.

That said - if you could find a walk around cuddy in similar shape, you may like that better for fishing and still have a place to snooze on board.

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if everything else checks out, I would go for it .. but don't skip on inspecting the rest of the boat . if its just a block and nothing else I would have already bought it !!!

jkust

Rear Admiral
If you've got the time for a project this summer, then go for it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I would expect you to find some rotten wood, so plan for more work than just a motor swap.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It's easily worth a gamble and I think the gamble is small because 1998 Bayliners had improved a lot over the ones in the very early 90's. I wouldn't by a late 80's to early 90's Bayliner even if it was running.

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys that's about the push I needed ! I've heard nothing but bad about early bayliners but heard they got better I just didn't know when. I agree I had thought the same about a bigger motor if I indeed do go buy it figuring a 19' cuddy with a 3.0l would be underpowered. I also was on the lookout for a small W/A but can't seem to find much in an I/o without stepping up more than I want to, I'd like to keep an I/o and around 19' and a single axle trailer that way it's a little easier to trailer if I pull it outta the slip and take a trip also as I said my dad has a bigger boat so it doesn't make sense for me to get a big boat too. With that said I know how to check it for rot, I'm not new to used boats as I've owned a few and been helping my dad since I could hold a wrench that's who gave me the boat bug. My plan is if it's still there when I up go back up that way for work (about 2hr drive) either later this week or early next week and it checks out ok I think it's coming home. One more question I have is how much physically bigger is a 5.0l than a 4.3l? My dad already has lead on one that a buddy has that's a jasper 5.0l and a sei drive put in about 2012 that is in a boat that's rotted that I could get dirt cheap maybe even free. It sounds like the stars are aligning and this project has my name on it ! Thanks again for the great input and I'll let you know when I'm heading up there.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I wouldn't worry about the brand. Bayliner is about as cheap a bowrider as money can buy and people who buy them new are likely new boaters who learn how to be boaters with their cheap boat then move on up to something else or just leave boating all together after the learning process has taken its toll. Of course there are a lot of issues with them because they are not robust in their construction, amenities or even vinyl quality because those things cost more money. They are going to get beat and then people seem to forget the demographic who bought them when they judge the brand. That's a broad brush but is what it is...not all of them...but I'm sure many more of them versus a cobalt or a chaparral or any other more expensive, everyman brand. Heck JD powers will show that Bayliner gets lower rating for their engines versus other brands that use the exact same engines so the bias seems baked in. All that said, the newer Bayliners are much better quality if not amenities than past years even though the reputation of poor quality follows. Reminds me of the early Hyundai vs the last several years Hyundai that are just fine.

Last edited:

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok guys, well I went and looked better at the boat and really checking it out I think that it was a good deal for parts and the trailer, heck it might even have years in it. But What pushed me away was when I put some weight on the drive it did feel like it was flexing. I also pulled on one of the screws for the transducer and poked in the hole with a pic and it felt mushy. The floors didn't feel that bad but if the transom is suspect I'm just walking away, I really don't want to get into Fiberglass work. Also After climbing around it I think as southkogs said I'd be happier with a small walk around for what I'm trying to do. After looking at it though it did give me more of an itch so I think it's time. Thanks you guys for the input it is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: