Jumping Ship!! Goodbye Chrysler hello Johnson.. Need Link n Sync 1983 70hp Johnson

snwwlkr

Seaman
That said... Boat owner for many years of different brands, I strayed for a few years back to Chrysler. God bless those guys but it is a labor of love. I want it to run, have minimal maintenance requirements and easy parts availability as needed.. I enjoy boating more than wrenching!! It was fun but to frustrating for me in the end. See videos below for the fun part.

Just bought a 1983 70 hp Johnson...Can anyone steer me to a really good link and sync write up/procedure..??

BTW.. 3 Chrysler 70-85 HP motors for sale LOL

Will in Nashville TN

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Jumping Ship!! Goodbye Chrysler hello Johnson.. Need Link n Sync 1983 70hp Johnso

Keeping it simple, unless the measurement between the vertical throttle arm and the cam has been tinkered with (cam has the scribe mark on it), synchronization is simply a matter of making sure that the linkages between the carburetors is such that the butterflies just start to open and close at the same time... check to make sure that when closed, they're all closed... not one still open ever so slightly.

And...... make sure that the scribe mark on the cam is dead centered with the carburetor throttle roller when the throttle butterflies just start to open... not before or after. That's it.

Now, if the measurement between the vertical throttle arm and the cam has been tinkered with (idle timing), you'll need to set that as per instructions in your manual.... timing degree usually somewhere between 3 to 5 degrees when the scribe mark is dead center with the roller... needs to be pretty much exact.

snwwlkr

Seaman
Re: Jumping Ship!! Goodbye Chrysler hello Johnson.. Need Link n Sync 1983 70hp Johnso

Thanks Joe,
The control cables that came with the motor were to short so I ordered new shift and throttle cables which will arrive in a few days. So its going to be like a new hook up. Everything looks very factory and unmolested in there so I dont think Bubba has screwed around with it to bad. That said, I still want to approach it step by step making sure it is 100% as it should be and assume nothing is right. I have already been working on cleaning up, lubing up and loosening all the little linkages, arms etc as they seemed a little stiff with old grease and build up. Also pulled carbs and cleaning them.

Again, hate to knock Chrysler but this Johnson seems so much better made and thought out. A few things always bugged me about Chrysler also.. Like.. A belt driven distributor.. I could go on actually but I won't..