Jon Boat Power

SCO

Lieutenant
Hello fellow Iboaters<br /><br />I'm about to get a welded Jon boat for saltwater bay fishing, really more shallow water fishing, Baffin, Laguna Madre, Nueces, Matagorda, Rockport etc. I've made some decisions, but need experience help. To get what I really want, I should probably assemble my own package, but have decided to get a packaged boat motor trailer or Deluxe. <br /><br />Seems the best compromise for me considering tow veh space etc , is a 1756 w center console for standing/observing while running.(17 feet long, 56 inch wide bottom) Modified V(shallow to almost flat at Stern). Picked a G3 mainly because it has 21 inch sides vs 24 for other brands, and has a 21 gal tank built in(all packaged 17s in 2006 have the 21 gal tank...not in specs yet). http://www.g3boats.com/GatorTough/default.php <br /><br /><br />I have to decide about powering it. Boat is rated for 70 hp. I am concerned about putting too heavy a motor on it and submerging the stern/creating draft/pwr up squat, but Id like 4stroke quietness.<br /><br />What motor would you pick and why from these options? General comments about G3, other motors, Xpress, Alumaweld etc? <br /><br />Yamaha 4 stroke 60 hp wt 237 lb<br />Yamaha 4 stroke 50 hp wt 237 lb<br />Yamaha 4 stroke 40 hp wt 191 lb<br />Yamaha 2 stroke 70 hp wt 228 lb<br />Yamaha 2 stroke 50 hp wt 189 lb<br /><br />Thanks , Scott

SCO

Lieutenant
Re: Jon Boat Power

I like those mud motors, and am thinking of getting another jon boat for that. This though would be more of a all purpose boat with good range. <br /><br />The jon hulls seem to be relatively narrow boats, so will they sit low aft at rest? I asked some outfitters what they thought ideal power would be and the answer was 2 stroke 50hp. <br /> <br />Most package 17's have a 56 inch wide bottom. Is this to make a better ride? Will I get beat up in the chop if I opt for a 60 inch width hull to gain<br />some better shallow water performance? Where are you DJ?

SCO

Lieutenant

Hey, come on now, lets get some chat stirred up about jon boats. For example, in an xpress boat HD17CC specification, <br /> http://www.xpressboats.com/hd17cc.html <br />,it says the following:\<br />Wt./Per/Mo/GR<br />What the heck does that mean?

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SCO,<br /><br />I own an Xpress VJ2270, I powered it with a 1989 90 HP Evinrude. I probably draft 3-4" of water with that motor on the back. It's weight is App 300 lbs. I love my Xpress It suits me fine. Jon boats are going to be rough no matter how wide a narrow. The width is going to give you more stability. But I don't think 4" either way will make that much of a difference.<br /><br />Wt./Per/Motor/GR is the total weight that the boat can handle wqith everything. I will tell you that I think Xpress underates their boats terribly. Compare the express capicities to a Sea Ark of the same size. I wanted the 24' Sea Ark but I didn't want to pay for a tandem trailer when you don't need one as Jon boats a really light.<br /><br />Get the biggest motor you can afford. But I think a 50 would be fine, but your only adding 40 lbs. to get the 70 and I don't think it will cause you to draft that much more.<br /><br />Sorry for the ramblings but I hope this helps.

SCO

Lieutenant

Thanks for the ramblings. I notice that the paint flecs off, probably because they paint over a soft flexible spray on liner type coat. Not a big deal though. I dont need it to be pretty, and figure I can touch it up once a year. I went to the dealers today and talked with them. I'm wrong about the bottom width of the 18, it is 70 not 60. I take it you use your boat in fresh water. Whats it like to run at wot across a lake w 20 knot winds and 1-2 foot chop?

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I boat at a 5000 acre lake that has pretty big boats and it can get pretty windy. I got one word for you:<br /><br />WET<br /><br />Plan on getting<br /><br />You will also find that the ride of a jon boat is Rough. They handle like a box. But they will get you into shallow water that a deep-v will not. The mod-v helps a little but they just don't cut the chop like a v. They are however extremely stable in rough water. I never worry about capsizing or otherwise.<br /><br />If you plan to operate a lot in rough water you would be better served by a deep-v.<br /><br />The paint on my boat get chipped and the like but I don't care cause it's a fishin' boat with character.<br /><br />With all that said I find mine extremely functional and wouldn't trade it for deep-v.

SCO

Lieutenant

I'll be hugging the shorelines and need to be able to at least get out and pull the boat through 6 inch water if I have to. A V is definitely out. I had a tri, and it severely limited my access to good waters...there will usually be a sandbar somewhere u need to get past. That 70 inch width hull is huge. I bet when you power up it doesn't squat much and just moves out bow down.

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pretty much.<br /><br /><br />On plane the boat makes a very small wake being a boat thats that wide. <br /><br />Sometimes you just have to take it easy in rough waters. <br /><br />I think I might have told you wrong in the last post.<br /><br />At 20 MPH I don't get very wet at all it is when I push 30 that I really get soaked. So I don't think at 20 you should have much of a problem with roughness either.

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why pull the boat just tilt the motor up and get you a push pole. <br /><br />I got me an aluminum push pole that goes from seven to fourteen feet. Arguably the best $50 I spent on my boat.

SCO

Lieutenant

now youre talking. Do you have a poling platform? How do you use the boat? What do you fish for?

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I fish for Catfish. And no I don't have a platform. I don't use the pole all too often but when I need it it is a lifesaver. <br /><br />I just use it off the side.<br /><br />It also works great for positioning my boat just right to fish.<br /><br />Jon boats draft so little that they are great for shallow water but the motor requires about 8 more inches then the boat.<br /><br />Here are a couple pictures of my baby. Note the 30 HP motor(talk about under powered, but I just bought the boat and was headed home on R&R) I recently put a 90 hp on it(Thats a whole nother topic).<br /><br />
DSC00506.jpg
<br /><br />
DSC00503.jpg

SCO

Lieutenant

Thats a great configuration. With the side console, there is a huge amount of usable space, It's lighter than a 17' or 18', probably 16', fiberglass boat, isnt going to hole if you run into anything, is going to last forever. No rot worries. I've got a 30 year old rivited aluminum that works just fine, a sears style boat of old. I'll post a pic of mine once I get it on this thread. Should be about december.

SCO

Lieutenant

BTW, I thought I was going to go with G3, but changed my mind about the best config. The G3 has a lot of great options, but has a built in 21 gal tank in the stern. On the 17 It might not be good to put too much extra weight in the stern. The Xpress boat has a 19gal center console tank option. With the std 12 gal tanks in the stern, you have 31 gal cap. that is better balanced and that uses the empty space under the center console(otherwise a cc is kind of a waste). If I can get 7mpg(probably can looking at the Yamaha performance tests) that will be a range of 217 miles.

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I wish I could afford to put a brand spanking new 115HP yamaha 4 stroke on the back of her. But my rude works just fine.<br /><br />The only problem I have with my sc is that it really unbalances the boat. But I use it for Catfishing and it's great.

SCO

Lieutenant

Ended up getting the G3 w 2 stroke 50. The best price I could get on the Xpress was 4000 more than the G3. That's just too much(40%more) when it's a toss up as to which is the better boat.