Joint Grease

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Joint Grease

you can use any type of grease you like

mercruiser recommends using quicksliver u-joint and gimble bearing grease because they feel that is the best grease for thier product

personally i would use the manufacturers recommended lubricant like high performance gear lube in the drive and definitely quicksilver engine coupler spline grease

tpenfield

Staff member

grease is grease, just use marine grease.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Don, what kind of grease do you use? I've seen most of the threads about grease, oil, etc... I get it. But just curious as to what you use. Thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I used the Mercruiser spline grease on the coupler splines (thick and stringy stays on the job). Tried the Sierra stuff, but it was wimpy and watered down and didn't look to me like it could do the job on coupler splines.
For ujoints and gimbal bearings, I used the Mercruiser ujoint and gimbal bearing grease.
Those two type of grease were chosen for specific jobs, by Mercruiser, and after using them for years I trust them. Yet I wouldn't own a Mercruiser. Only Volvo.
PS, I also used Mercruiser Hi Performance gear lube in my Volvo DP outdrive.

Scary, isn't it.;)

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A Volvo guy? Never would have guessed it. Kinda making me look at my merc like its inferior. But its what I am used to working on...

I use the "green grease" on everything on the boat, sterndrive, and trailer... even my pickup front end. Good tacky stuff...

Never had any problems... ha :) :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think that grease is grease in those certain terms. Pete K on the BOC did a good write up on this years ago about mixing greases. If the chemistry does not allow for mixing unlike greases, the combination of the two can cause the grease loose the heavy viscosity properties and become more liquid like. The grease eventually fails to protect the parts meant to. It sounds like once you start with brand/type X, its best to stick with it unless you know that the two are compatible.

HCMQA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Grease is not grease.
If you use two different greases one will push out the other which is bad.
In most cases if you always use the same type/brand you should be ok. Worst case is that you will need to grease more than recommended.
Grease is made up of three things. A soap, lubricant and additives. It is the soaps that are not compatible with each other. (Soap is what makes grease grease and not a liquid)