Joined stupid human tricks club!!! Need help repairing lower unit. Road Rash

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Joined stupid human tricks club!!! Need help repairing lower unit. Road Rash

If it were mine I would build up using glass cloth and polyester resin. Such a fix would be more resistant to cracking from minor impacts and is easy to do. A big lump of JB Weld, MarineTex or epoxy would be vulnerable. Finish with chromate primer and lacquer. Easy and very strong.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Joined stupid human tricks club!!! Need help repairing lower unit. Road Rash

If it were mine I would build up using glass cloth and polyester resin. Such a fix would be more resistant to cracking from minor impacts and is easy to do. A big lump of JB Weld, MarineTex or epoxy would be vulnerable. Finish with chromate primer and lacquer. Easy and very strong.

Use the epoxy if you are going to build it up, bad idea to use polyester resin. Chief Chief

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Might check your auto policy if it happened while hooked to your car. Deductable would probably be too high to make it worth it though. I also bet you can find a case at a bone yard for a lot less.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

What if...................
You found a truely junk lower casting. For virtually scrap metal price, that still has the area you damaged on yours, good.
Like one that the skeg is busted clean off, etc. and is in the scrap metal heap at the local marina. Your only interested in the front cone area.

Then with any and all guts removed from the scrapped unit determine how much material is left between the ground-off area and vital internals.
You can drill a tiny hole in the scrap casting (farside) and measure how much meat there is originally and compare it to what you have left on yours.

If you feel there is a very thin amount of metal left on yours, you can have it built up by a good tig welder. If he is good, he will leave all oil in it as posted above as well as surround the weld area with wet rags to pull heat away as soon as possible while welding a little bit at a time.

Then you can get tricky with the scrap heap housing and bandsaw-slice the same area that is ground off of yours from the scrap heap housing.
Then tig it or epoxy it to yours so now you have restored the exact profile you had before your mishap.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

After you do your quick fix and are able to finish out the summer or when your home surfing on the puter try e-bay, lots of units show up there. I just got a 14 foot boat and trailer with a 70 hp evenrude on it for 500.00 US. I just sold the boat and trailer and put the lower unit out for sale. So far I.am in the black, up 100.00 bucks and the unit hasent been sold yet. I just couldnt trust a temp fix, you just dont know what areas were stressed when it hit and had a heat build up from friction.

I have been a welder for over 26 years and it can be welded and may last a lifetime but thats going to cost you a bunch also. Them footers and cases are cast alum. and stress cracks dont show up none to fast, they cant take much heat or pressure. You may be running fine and then the whole thing let go. I just couldn't trust it, but thats just me. Any repair isn't as good as a factory unit.

frostmonkey

Cadet

Can anyone tell me what size lower unit is on this motor. J90PLSTC. Also gear boxes from what year will fit????

frostmonkey

Cadet

well finally got the boat fixed. I re fiber glassed the bottom of the boat. I also rebuilt the worn areaonthe legof my motor with aluminum epoxy..That stuff rocks! You can't even tell the leg has been damaged.Put the boat inthe wateron sat.runs as good as the day Iinstalled the motor on the boatwhen it was new. So atleast I can get through the summer with it and we'll see from there.