johnson wiring problem help

adam22

Cadet
I am still having problems with my 1972 50hp johnson(50ESL72C). I have found a great deal of help already in this forum, by searcing and posting topics. Thanks. When I got this engine it would not shift into neutral or reverse, and the lower unit leaked. It is hydro electric shift. I dropped the lower and replaced the seals and bearings. I also installed a new impeller. The wires for the shift solenoids were pinched between the solenoid cover and the case. I cut out the bad section of wire, a little solder, heat shrink , and presto; or so I thought. Still no neutral no reverse. I disasembled the controller and found that the shift switch was bad. I replaced the switch with a headlight switch,B/C the dealer wanted way to much money for the replacement. So now I have: neutral 12volts green, 0 volts blue; reverse 12volts green and blue; forward 0 volts blue or green. I checked the solenoids while I had them out. Worked fine. Problem is this: when I shift to neurtal or reverse, I blow a fuse. I disconnected the the knife disconnects for the solenoids, switched into neutral and reverse, did not blow fuse. I know the problem is some where below there, but I cannot find the short. Any advice would help me alot. Thanks

carmangary1

Seaman
Re: johnson wiring problem help

I think I have a spare switch that i can sell to you a lot cheaper than the dealer.

adam22

Cadet

I want to fix the short before change the switch again. after that maybe i go back to the OE style switch. How much?

crosley99

Cadet

carmangary,<br /><br />hi,<br /><br />i've got a '71 johnson 125. i'd like to buy your switch.<br /><br />thanks.<br /><br />crosley<br />513-985-0600 :)