Johnson Starting Problems

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 1996 Johnson 112 starts fine at home with water hose and muffs but at the boat ramp on the trailer, it only turns over a time or two then no power as if the battery is dead. Jumping over from trolling motor batteries doesn't help. I have checked all battery / starter connections and load tested the battery. I start the motor the night before and let it run for a few minutes but still have the same problem at the lake. So far I have always managed to get it started, then it does fine for the remainder of the day or weekend. This doesn't seem to be a battery or starter problem. Any ideas?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson Starting Problems

Hello.<br />I had the same problem and for a long time I could not think of any solution.My 12 year old solved it for me.He took a hammer and tapped the connections on the battery gently on the head and it started right up...<br />The logical next step was cleaning every single connection in the wiring and also the ground connections.I reconnected everything, double checked it and it worked like a dream. My son came up with a bit more good advice by suggesting we cover the connections so humidity cannot get in. We took liquid electrical tape and covered all connections. We have not had a problem since, although my son does like to rub it in, especially in front of our fishing buddies.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Assuming the battery, and connections are OK, you said it does this on the trailer at the ramp. How far down in the water is the engine when you try to start it? I ran into this last summer on a 3 cylinder mounted on a pontoon boat. The pontoons were leaking, and the engine was settled in, over the exhaust holes. When he tried to start it, it would suck water in the exhaust ports, and hydro-lock the engine.

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll definitely recheck all the connections but just find it odd how easily it starts at home but backed in the water at the ramp it won’t start. I’m curious about the hydro-lock problem. I've often wondered if there was anything that would make the engine harder to turn over with the lower unit submerged. And why would it restart so readily after getting it started the first time if it was bad connections. If there were some type of hydo-lock going on, would spinning it over a few turns before backing down the ramp help or hurt?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />There might be another thing.<br />If your engine is in "forward" then it will be a bit harder to start in the water than outside,especially when your battery is on the way out.It is also true that your exhaust outlet is under water, where it should be.<br />Try a new or newly charged battery and see if there is a difference.The only thing that spinning the engine outside the water will do is killing the impeller on the waterpump a bit each time you do it.<br />Good luck and a prosperous new year.<br />Mops.