Johnson Seahorse lower unit oil

dougandmel

Cadet
Hi, I've got a 1963 johnson 10 HP seahorse model qd-24. I'm going to change the lower unit oil. On the side of the lower unit, it says "fill with hypoid oil". Besides buying a hyopid oil, what else should I look for? Is there a specific viscosicity I need to use, or are all hypoid oils the same? Also, does anyone know the capacityof this particular lower unit? Thanks, Doug.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson Seahorse lower unit oil

Most folks don't use just hypoid oil anymore, although you probably could. Just get a bottle of lower unit outboard lube from any oil outlet (Wal-Mart, etc). The outboard lube supposedly has some additives to allow it to handle water intrusion better. I think you'd have to hunt to find just hypoid oil in small containers. It's what is used to top off differentials and standard transmissions when you get your oil changed and it's usually in a dispenser.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

...and dont forget to get new gaskets for the vent and drain plugs, that is the number 1 spot for water intrusion and should be changed with every oil change.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I use the stuff my local OMC dealer sells me. There's also synthetic LU oil available which I hear works better if you do have any water leakage at all.