Johnson QD 21 10 hp

parnold

Cadet
reworking a 10 hp and pulled the armature plate to replace plug wires and look for oil. Started to put back together and the aluminum plate that the screws go into spins. Looks like a pin is supposed to go in there to hold it in place. No reference to it or the brass plate that covers it in the parts manual or Seloc. The cam also won't stay down for some reason. Any ideas or pictures?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson QD 21 10 hp

It's supposed to spin, that's what allows the magplate to rotate. The brass plate is what holds it in place. There is supposed to be 2 screws that hold that cam in place , I think you are referring to the cam that is used to open the carb???

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The aluminum threaded plate has a flat side. This must be facing up against the brass ring.

It must be loose, otherwise it could not turn to advance the timing. Line it up with a scribe of something to keep the holes aligned when you lower the armature plate.

That cam might have a spring under it. If so, don't remove it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

reworking a 10 hp and pulled the armature plate to replace plug wires and look for oil. Started to put back together and the aluminum plate that the screws go into spins. Looks like a pin is supposed to go in there to hold it in place. No reference to it or the brass plate that covers it in the parts manual or Seloc. The cam also won't stay down for some reason. Any ideas or pictures?

The "cam that won't stay down" would be the breaker cam. Yes, it has a spring under it that is part of the upper crankshaft carbon seal assembly. The flywheel holds the cam down. Position the shaft to where one set of points is about to start to open, then lower the flywheel into place. That will prevent the cam from buggering up the points arm when pushed down. Set the points gap to .020" through the access hole in the flywheel.

parnold

Cadet

Guys thanks for the quick responses it's very helpful. This one is different from the 6 hp I reworked and I can't find the engine specific repair manual. Will probably be asking for more help as I get further into this.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi parnold. Here's a link to a complete parts diagram/manual for my '61 QD-22. I couldn't find one for your motor, but these QD's were virtually unchanged for years, so I think this manual should be pretty darn close. I hope it helps. I've recently done a new tune up kit (pints and condensers), carb kit, new universal lanyard kill switch and impeller. Runs like a top thanks to all the help here in the forums. Keep us posted.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/378459/37845900001.htm

parnold

Cadet

kfa4303 & bktheking, thanks for the links, vey helpful. I was looking in the wrong place the "retaining ring & support" is listed in power head group I was looking in crankshaft group, learned something here. Looks very similar, don't have a copy of your repair or service manual do you?

AlTn

Commander

check out the Top Secret Files at the beginning of this forum..also..google..duckworks max reviving a 1956 johnson 15hp...part 4 and 5 are specific to the magneto

parnold

Cadet

Kfa4303 & Altn, really very good link. Duckworks lays it out. Not sure where the top srcret files are but I'll look around. waiting on some parts so moving to the lower unit

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The top secret file is the first post in this column. Look at the very top. There's very good info up there.

parnold

Cadet

thanks samo, I forgot. Haven't been on the site since I worked on a 6 hp 2 years ago. These guys helped a lot on that one too